From: Chiyuan Zhang <pluskid-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: GSoC Introduction - generic multiclass learning framework
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.ai.machine-learning.shogun
Date: Tuesday 24th April 2012 07:39:23 UTC (over 4 years ago)
Hi all,

My name is Chiyuan Zhang (张驰原), also known as pluskid in IRC (and
almost
everywhere else). I'm a CS student from Zhejiang University, China. I have
finished my current degree and will start my PhD pursuit at CSAIL, MIT this
Sept. I'm luckily selected for the GSoC task of developing a generic
multiclass learning framework in shogun, mentored by Cheng Soon Ong.

My work is mainly consists of two parts:

   1. Designing and implementing a generic framework in shogun for
   multiclass learning
   2. Implement specific multiclass learning algorithms

The first part is (very) roughly done, since there were multiclass
classification support in shogun. During the past weeks, I have helped to
reorganize the existing code and framework so that it is more unified and
better extend-able. There are still many issues to be solved in the current
framework, but things will turn out to be clear as we go on.

For the 2nd part, I have a draft plan in my proposal, but I think that is
somewhat preliminary, and I need to make the plan more accurate and
specific with my mentor during the next weeks. However, any suggestions
from all of you are welcomed! But to start with, I'll implement the simple
ECOC way of multiclass classification.

Other details are to be decided during the following weeks. We will also
have a kick off meeting as far as I know. Looking to see you there.

I will also work closely with Sergey Lisitsyn, since he has strong interest
in multiclass learning, and is an expert of the shogun codebase. There
might be potential collaboration with Fernando J. Iglesias García, too.
Since multiclass learning and SO learning are somewhat related. For
example, we might both want to extend the current CLabels class for our
purpose.

Finally, thank you very much for this awesome project!

Best,

Chiyuan Zhang

CD: 3ms