From: =?KOI8-R?B?5dfHxc7JyiDhzsTSxcXX?= <gsomix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: GSoC Introduction - Various usability impovements
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.ai.machine-learning.shogun
Date: Tuesday 24th April 2012 17:09:05 UTC (over 4 years ago)
"Good news, everyone".

Hello, I'm Evgeniy Andreev, a second year undergraduate student at Samara
State Aerospace with major in physics. My GSoC project is `Various
usability impovements' and is mentored by Soeren Sonnenburg.

It means I would like realize many small and big cool things for Shogun.
Very preliminary list contains:

- Reference counting for SGVector.
- Implement customizable SWIG interface classes (so called director classes
[1]). It's making it possible to extend certain class methods using some
interface language.
- Implement a better python integration, i.e. for cross-validation it is
currently very complex to specify the parameter settings to try out. In
addition, python since version 2.6 supports the python buffer protocol [2],
which when implemented for e.g. shoguns CSimpleFeatures or Labels would
enable accessing shogun objects like python numpy arrays (to a certain
extend). python array protocol.
- Improve modular interfaces.
- Improve clang/llvm support [3].
- Implement automatic system to create a deb packages. It will speed up the
distribution of the Shogun for Debian-like systems.

Great schedule, isn't it? But I think we have enough `power of berserk' for
it.

Thank you for your trust.

[1] http://swig.org/Doc2.0/Python.html#Python_nn34
[2] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3118/