Bill Barker | 19 Jul 08:04 2007

Re: JSR-316 Vote

"Geir Magnusson Jr." <geir@...> wrote in
message news:5FA3B60E-0AF6-4D32-9803-919D30C06130@...
> The last day to vote for JSR 316 - Java EE 6 - is tomorrow.
>
> I know there was a thread earlier on this.  I'll go re-read at some
> point, but not now.  This list is exhausting.
>
> I'd like to vote "no" simply on the grounds that from our point of  view,
> this spec lead - Sun - is in violation of the JSPA, and  therefore we
> don't think they should be allowed to start another JSR  until the matter
> is cleared up.  No reason to screw around with  uncertain and fluid
> rationales for things like NDAs, mail lists,  whatever....

And now we look like the FSF, playing politics with our vote (which didn't
change anything, since 316 was overwhelmingly adopted 14-1 with one
didn't-vote) :(.  It is clear that we have allies (at least until now) with
IBM, Intel, and RedHat from the comments, so could somebody explain to me
why we need to make this a p*ssing contest (and over a three-year old JSR,
that is already practically obsolete, and that we praised to the skies three
years ago)?  If the ASF can't start acting like resposible adults on the
JCP, then it is probably better that we withdraw.  As it is, we look like a
little kid jumping up and down saying that we are 'going to hold our breath
until we die' :(.

> geir

Gmane