From: Adrian Fish <a.fish <at> lancaster.ac.uk>
Subject: [Building Sakai] BigBlueButton Sakai Integration
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.cms.sakai.devel
Date: Tuesday 2nd March 2010 15:32:17 UTC (over 7 years ago)
Hi All,

I've written an integration with a conferencing tool called
BigBlueButton (http://www.bigbluebutton.org). If
you want to try it out
I've attached the overlay which has been tested against the current
trunk. You need to setup a BigBlueButton server but thankfully this is
not difficult. I ended up doing it by installing all of the components
against a 64bit Ubuntu 9.10, but the easiest install is against a 32bit
Ubuntu as they've kindly created a deb package
(http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/InstallationUbuntu)
so you
can literally have it up and running in 10 minutes. You could install
into a 32bit VM as they've also created a VM image
(http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/BigBlueButtonVM).

To secure the BBB api you need to generate a GUID and set the
securitySalt value to it in:
/var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/bigbluebutton/WEB-INF/classes/bigbluebutton.properties

There are only two things you need to do on the Sakai end.

1. configure your BBB IP Address (if you want to use hostnames as I did,
you need to go through the config scripts for the various BBB components
like Nginx, Tomcat and Asterisk and swap the IPs for hostnames) and
security salt:

# BigBlueButton Integration
[email protected]=http://BIGBLUEBUTTON_IP_ADDRESS

2. Pass the security salt by specifying it in either sakai.properties or
security.properties:

[email protected]=THE_SAME_GUID_AS_IN_BBB

The BBB mailing list
(http://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-dev/topics?gvc=2)
 is
pretty active and the documentation
(http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/w/list)
is generally decent.

I'll be getting JIRA, SVN and Confluence space setup soon and I'll get
this information into there when that happens.

Cheers,

Adrian.

--
Adrian Fish