From: MARK CALLAGHAN <mdcallag-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Possible enhancements to Drizzle kernel/protocol.
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.db.drizzle.general
Date: Thursday 30th April 2009 23:46:06 UTC (over 7 years ago)
On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Adi Alurkar
 wrote:
> Greetings,
> It was great to meet everybody at Developer day. I have been catching up
> with all the docs on the protocol and discussing them with our CTO and in
> the last brainstorm with him we realized that although the proposed
protocol
> offers great enhancements in terms of exposing shard id / QUERY /
QUERY_RO
> in the protocol itself, the following idea would make it even better.
> To simplify and explain the problem consider the following architecture:
> (also note that this would apply to sharded DBD scenario as well)

At a functional level this is a great problem to solve. We frequently
remind users to direct queries to slaves when possible. That is not a
good use of my time or the users time. I want to automate this in
software without a significant overhead and without putting (and then
managing) an additional set of processes between clients and servers.

--
Mark Callaghan
[email protected]