From: Laurent Gauch <laurent.gauch-tSmr+ybFaMVBDgjK7y7TUQ <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: jtagkey2 / Amontec JTAGkey-2 from http://www.amontec.com
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.debugging.openocd.devel
Date: Friday 23rd October 2009 14:44:25 UTC (over 9 years ago)
> +++ Leonard Heins [2009-10-23 13:45 +0200]:
> >/ Hello
> />/
> />/
> />/
> />/ We are currently using OpenOCD 0.2.0 on 32bit Windows with JTAGKeys
from
> />/ Amontec.  We have just got a JTAGKey2 so we can run at 30MHz.
> />/
> />/
> />/
> />/ Do we need a new USB driver and a new version of OpenOCD (including
> />/ jtagkey2.cfg) to use this new debugger? If so, are binaries for 32bit
windows
> />/ available anywhere for download.
> /
> The USB manufacturer and prodcut IDs are the same for JTAGKey 1 and 2
> (is that right?), so the only thing that changes is the Product string.
> (I wish they'd either changed both pid _and_ desc, or neither. Just
> changing one is unhelpful as it requires what seems to be a gratuitous
> config change.
>
> Which means the openocd config changes from :
> interface ft2232
> ft2232_device_desc "Amontec JTAGkey"
> ft2232_layout jtagkey
> ft2232_vid_pid 0x0403 0xcff8
>
> to:
> interface ft2232
> ft2232_device_desc "Amontec JTAGkey-2"
> ft2232_layout jtagkey
> ft2232_vid_pid 0x0403 0xcff8
>
> Openocd itself shoulnd't need to change at all.
>
> Wookey
For now, just use the jtagkey2.cfg in the tcl/interface. It works great.

From d2xx point of view, the Device Description for Amontec JTAGkey-2 is :

"Amontec JTAGkey-2 A"

From d2xx point of view, the Device Description for Amontec JTAGkey-2P is :

"Amontec JTAGkey-2P A"

The "A" is corresponding to the Channel A of the USB composite device (On
your OS Device manager you ever see Amontec JTAGkey (Channel A) and

Amontec JTAGkey (Channel B)). The Channel B is still not used in Amontec
JTAGkey-2 ! Channel B will be an other story that I cannot tell you now ;-)

Also, Amontec Team has a patch for OpenOCD to use / to see the Amontec
JTAGkey-2 with the same config file as the Amontec JTAGkey (

with ft2232_device_desc "Amontec JTAGkey"

We will have to update our OpenOCD source and generate a new diff for a
next commit. Coming soon.

From libftdi point of view, the Device Description is not important but the
PID VID is !

It is very *HELPFUL* to have the -2 after the Amontec JTAGkey-2 and the -2P
after the Amontec JTAGkey-2P . This will really help the end-user when
using multiple Amontec JTAGkey generation dongle from the same computer (
from the same USB HOST), and this can help custom software too. Also, it is
wonderful to have the same PID VID for the Amontec JTAGkey and Amontec
JTAGkey-2 for software compatibility. This will stay true for the comming
Amontec JTAGkey-3 with POWER CONTROL support and SWD support for ARM cortex
serial wire debug with JTAG IO Voltage down to 0.9V  !

Regards,
Laurent

 23-OCT-2009
 http://www.amontec.com
 http://www.amontec.com/jtagkey.shtml
 MAKING JTAG CABLE INTERFACE A SNAP

 Amontec JTAGkey -> full speed USB 6MHz JTAG 1.4V to 5.5V 24mA
 Amontec JTAGkey Tiny -> full speed USB 6MHz JTAG 3.3V 8ma output driver
 Amontec JTAGkey-2 -> high speed USB 30MHz JTAG RTCK 1.2V to 5.5V 30mA
 Amontec JTAGkey-2P -> as Amontec JTAGkey-2 with 500mA 3.3V ext. power
supply
 Amontec JTAGkey-2 Tiny -> coming soon !

CD: 13ms