From: Natanael Copa <ncopa <at> alpinelinux.org>
Subject: Re: [Xfce 4.12] Roadmap and Features
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.desktop.xfce.devel.version4
Date: Tuesday 8th May 2012 11:21:10 UTC (over 5 years ago)
On Mon, 07 May 2012 12:51:56 +0200
Nick Schermer  wrote:

> First we need to make a decision about gtk3, because if all
> applications become a memory hog I'd say we stick to gtk2. Once that
> has been decided, we can make useful roadmap for 4.12.

When it comes to gtk3 memory usage it would be nice to know:
* Are there any difference in gtk 3.0 and 3.4? (getting better or worse)
* Why does gtk3 use so much more memory compared to gtk2?
* What would it take to "fix" gtk3? Are the upstream devs working on it
  or they don't care?
* Is there something that can be done to reduce memory usage when
  porting applications?

As a distro builder I would prefer to not need both gtk2 *and* gtk3
because that would eat more memory than only using gtk3. The number of
applications not supporting gtk2 is increasing. Already for xfce-4.10 I
found it slightly inconvenient with gtk2.

-nc

CD: 4ms