Christophe Strobbe | 10 Nov 16:04 2011

Re: AccessODF, accessibility checker for Writer files

Hi Tom,

At 13:48 10-11-2011, Tom Davies wrote:
>Hi :)
>Is there a Press Release that is not a download?  If there is a
>web-page then i can link to it from the page

We've just added it. You can link to the page at

Best regards,

>Regards from
>Tom :)
>--- On Wed, 9/11/11, Christophe Strobbe
><christophe.strobbe <at>> wrote:
>From: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe <at>>
>Subject: [libreoffice-accessibility] AccessODF, accessibility
>checker for Writer files
>To: accessibility <at>
>Date: Wednesday, 9 November, 2011, 12:30
>Yesterday, the K.U.Leuven released AccessODF, a new open-source
>extension for LibreOffice Writer and Writer that
>helps authors evaluate and repair accessibility issues. You can
>download the extension from
>A press release is available at

>The extension does not only identify accessibility issues and
>provide repair suggestions (like Microsoft Office 2010) but also
>provides automatic or semi-automatic repair functionality where
>possible. For example, if the checker finds an empty heading or a
>table where rows are allowed to break across pages, you can simply
>press the repair button to fix that ("automatic repair"). If the
>checker finds an image without alt text, pressing the repair button
>will open the dialog where you can enter a text alternative, which
>saves you a few steps ("semi-automatic repair").
>AccessODF complements to other extensions: odt2daisy, which exports
>Writer documents to DAISY, and odt2braille, which exports Writer
>documents to a Braille format or sends them to an embosser. Both
>extensions are available on SourceForge. Accessibility evaluation
>was a feature frequently requested by users of odt2daisy and odt2braille.
>Unfortunately, due to limitations in the APIs provided by
>LibreOffice and, the AccessODF user interface is not
>accessible to screen reader users and other keyboard users. (This
>will require changes in the office suites.)
>This is the first release of AccessODF, and I look forward to
>comments and suggestions.
>AccessODF was developed within the AEGIS project, an R&D project
>funded by the European Commission that aims at integrating more
>accessibility into mainstream software. Most of the software
>developed by AEGIS is or will be available under an open-source licence.
>Best regards,
>-- Christophe Strobbe

Christophe Strobbe
Kasteelpark Arenberg 10 bus 2442
B-3001 Leuven-Heverlee
tel: +32 16 32 85 51
Twitter:  <at> RabelaisA11y
Open source for accessibility: results from the AEGIS project
Please don't invite me to Facebook, Quechup or other "social
networks". You may have agreed to their "privacy policy", but I haven't.

Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to accessibility+help <at>
Posting guidelines + more:
List archive: