Ronald Tatum | 2 Jun 04:59 2005
Picon

Re: what's the meaning MVT ?

Well, it seems to be getting confusing - I look in GC28-6628-7, IBM System
Operating Systems, System Control Blocks, date page missing, but the pub
corresponds to Release 20.1,  and it says the control program configurations
are shown as:

"PCP - The primary control program of the System/360 Operating System.
MFT - The *multiprogramming* with a fixed number of tasks configuration of
the System/360 Operating System.
MVT - the *multiprogramming* with a variable number of tasks configuration
of the System/360 Operating System."

All of which makes me wonder if even IBM's doc writers had a clear idea of
just what the words they used were supposed to mean ... At one time, the MFT
version was said to be "single-threaded", I suppose in the sense that were a
fixed number of partitions of memory in which various initiators lived and
which were "activated" by jobs' JCL, etc. Apparently if a program, e.g.,
called for I/O, the task (program) could specify waiting for the I/O to
complete before continuing its execution or immediately come back from the
request - in a sense, single threading itself by waiting or spawning (in
some strange sense) another "sub-thread" as it were. I'm not sure about time
slicing in MFT, but I was unfortunately exposed to an OS/VS1 shop that,
well...

Seems the sysprog (an ex-DOS CE type) didn't think that users should be
concerned with work getting done; he had the idiot system time-slicing every
second, walking the chain of currently "executing" jobs, and giving control
to each in turn in a round-robin fashion if the particular job could do some
work. It was said, with some truth, that he really wanted to time-slice
every 200 milliseconds and do the same thing...
He did have *every* accounting exit he could think of turned on and even
bought a package from Eastman Kodak that did as much busywork with the exits
as it could. Far as I could tell, nobody every looked at much of the rubbish
he had the system generating.

Regards,
Ron Tatum