From: Marcus Watts <mdw <at> umich.edu>
Subject: Re: IP address changes
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.file-systems.openafs.general
Date: Wednesday 30th January 2013 17:09:04 UTC (over 3 years ago)
> Date:    Wed, 30 Jan 2013 16:12:25 GMT
> To:      "[email protected]"
> From:    Antony Mayi
> Subject: [OpenAFS] IP address changes
>
> Hi,=0A=0AI've done major network redesign changing all IP addressing.
I've =
> only changed the IP addresses in /usr/afs/etc/CellServDB (servers)
and=A0/u=
> sr/vice/etc/CellServDB.local (clients). I unfortunately didn't follow any
o=
> f the 'vos changeaddr' mentioned in doc but now 'vos listaddrs' on any of
t=
> he DB servers doesn't show any of the old IPs so can't run the changeaddr
a=
> nymore.=0A=0AAll AFS seems to be working fine but in some cases some
operat=
> ions (ie. aklog, vos xyz, etc.) just hang (random clients, random time,
no =
> common pattern). When stracing this I can see it still tries to use the
old=
>  IP addresses.=0A=0AWhat do I need to do to let AFS forget about the old
IP=
> s? What and where is caching the old IPs?=0A=0Athanks,=0AAntony.

You need to reploy a changed CellServDB on your clients,
and you'll need to either restart or do "fs newcell" to tell them
the new IP address.

CellServDB.local is probably only a feature of your init script - pts
and other tools look at CellServDB.  To fix pts/vos/aklog, it's only
necessary to regenerate CellServDB.

The cache manager, on the other hand, only acquires CellServDB info
when it's started.  To tell it an address has changed without rebooting,
you'll need to use "fs newcell".  This should be fairly safe, but of
course the effect is not identical to a reboot.

				-Marcus Watts

CD: 3ms