Jeff Breidenbach | 19 Mar 13:42 2007

Re: New patch for player shape introducing styles

> - It'd be nice to customize your "avatar" a bit.  Setting skin colour
>   and other features is one way to do it, but we might as well send a
>   pixmap (or vector description).

The need for a custom icon (or avatar) comes up all the time, ranging
from various computer games to email messages. For example, if you look
at gmane.org you will see that each message has some sort of symbol and
attached. For example, an mit.edu message might show the university
emblem. And I think gmail allows photos to be uploaded, and I think the
various instant messaging services allow the same. While no open icon
system seems utterly dominent yet, I still think it might be fun to hook
into one or more of the existing personal icon infrastructures rather
than developing something specific and limited to Pioneers.

Disclaimer: I help run mail-archive.com, which is in a similar arena to
gmane.org. So I'm interested in this topic from multiple angles.