Brian Cameron | 3 Mar 16:15 2010
Picon

Fwd: Meeting Minutes Published - February 18, 2010


The meeting minutes for the February 18th board meeting is now public.
Refer here:

          http://live.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20100218

Other past board meetings are archived here:

          http://live.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes

-- text of the latest minutes follows --

Minutes for Meeting of February 18th, 2010

Next Meeting

     * March 4th, 2010

Attending

     * Behdad Esfahbod
     * Brian Cameron
     * Diego Escalante Urrelo
     * Germán Póo-Caamaño
     * Jorge Castro
     * Lucas Rocha (late)
     * Rosanna Yuen
     * Stormy Peters
     * Vincent Untz

Regrets

     * Srinivasa Ragavan

Recurring Items

     * Review past action items.
     * Did each person with action items send their status reports to
       the board list before the meeting?
     * Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published
       to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
     * Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
     * System administrator hiring - waiting for funding.
     * Update foundation.gnome.org website.

New Items

     * Lucas Rocha is stepping down from the board. The board wished
       Lucas goodbye and extended a warm welcome to Jorge Castro, who is
       joining the board to replace Lucas.
     * GUADEC Update
           o Koen Martens from the GUADEC organizing team joined the
             board meeting to provide a GUADEC update.
           o The board agreed that GNU Hacker meeting will be co-located
             with GUADEC 2010.
                 + http://www.gnu.org/ghm/2009/
           o Website update. The main GUADEC website designer is
             Vinicious Depizzol. The website is not being developed as
             quickly as the organizers expected.
           o The board and local organizers are currently working to
             seek sponsors. Need to do more work since we only have one
             sponsor right now.
           o Koen suggested that the organizers are not providing enough
             information on the planning list. There is good
             communication working with the local organizers, such as
             Reinout. It was suggested that better communication with
             the larger community via the planning list could help to
             improve overall organization.
                 + Behdad suggests to Koen to ask the local GNOME
                   community and larger GNOME community for help. The
                   GNOME community will highlight problems as they are
                   noticed, and providing progress reports to the larger
                   community will help such review.
     * Hewlett-Packard and ACCESS have stepped down from the GNOME
       Advisory Board.
     * GUADEC training as proposed by Dave Neary.
           o Contract is currently under legal and board review.
           o ACTION: Stormy will forward the latest contract to the
             board for review.
     * BODHost
           o BODHost has made an offer to provide the GNOME community
             with web services at no cost. They said that if the The
             GNOME Project website is hosted with BODHost, that they
             will offer The GNOME Foundation their services as
             sponsorship and also provide complete managed 24x7 live
             support along with the servers that they will provide. In
             return the GNOME Foundation provides a simple link on the
             GNOME website footer.
           o These web services are currently provided by Red Hat at no
             cost.
           o The GNOME sysadmin team should decide if this is an
             opportunity the GNOME Foundation should take advantage of.
           o ACTION - Behdad will follow-up on the sysadmin list about
             the BODHost offer to provide the GNOME community with web
             services at no cost.
     * XIPWire
           o XIPWire provides a service to offer mobile phone donation
             services, so people can donate money to the GNOME
             Foundation via mobile phones.
           o GNOME can participate in their "Mobile Giving Foundation"
             if we pay $300 (US).
           o If we do this, the GNOME Marketing team should have a plan
             on how to advertise it and how to make it work.
           o ACTION - Stormy will notify the marketing list that there
             is budget for the $300 (US) needed if a marketing plan can
             be put into place.
     * PyGTK+
           o ACTION - Jorge will ping J5 to coordinate what is necessary
             to improve PyGTK+ maintainership.
     * Board member review process
           o Diego has recommended that the board have a self-review
             process. Something similar to a 360° review process.
           o ACTION - Diego will lead the board member review process:
             pick a date, send reminders and coordinate with Stormy the
             missing members surveys.
     * Co-location in 2011
           o Has been announced to KDE board.
                 + ACTION - Vincent will send call-for-bids and press
                   release for co-locating in 2011.
           o Events
                 + Free Software and Open Source Foundation for Africa
                   in Ghana.
                 + Idlelo - training and booth opportunities.
                       # ACTION - Vincent will find people to attend the
                         Free Software and Open Source Foundation for
                         Africa in Ghana and Idlelo events.
                 + Zaragoza
                       # Possibly organize a Marketing Hackfest for
                         Zaragoza.
                       # ACTION - Diego will help Stormy to organize the
                         Zaragoza event.
                 + LinuxTag
                       # ACTION - Vincent will get in contact with local
                         LinuxTag community to organize a track in
                         German.

Completed Actions

     * Brian - Will send an email to the board-only list to start a
       discussion about how to define Stormy's Bonus goals.
     * Rosanna - Will touch base with the accountant to determine if we
       need an extension for taxes. An extension is not needed.
     * Stormy - Will ping James Vasile about the legal arrangements for
       Dave Neary's proposed training. Done shortly after the meeting.
     * Stormy - Will forward the latest contract to the board for review.
     * Stormy - Will notify the marketing list that there is budget for
       the $300 needed if a marketing plan can be put into place.

Status of action items

     * Behdad - Tasked with scrubbing the GnuCash file so it can be made
       public. Behdad sent a scrubbed GnuCash file to Rosanna to check,
       but still pending.
     * Behdad - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into
       GnuCash. Rosanna sent Behdad a sample of incoming PayPal
       information looks like and has shown how it should be
       incorporated into the GnuCash file. Behdad is now looking into
       this.
     * Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee
       Handbook". Draft under review.
     * Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James
       Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
     * Diego - Taken over from Stormy. Will work with Gil Forcada from
       guifi.net and gnome-marketing to define the best way for
       organizations like guifi.net to participate in the GNOME
       community. Not many replies from the community. Diego will draft
       something more concrete for gnome-marketing and ask for comments.
     * Germán - Put together a proposal for how to address board members
       who become inactive. Still pending.
     * Lucas - Work to ensure that Foundation members sign the GNOME
       Code of Conduct, and make it a requirement that new Foundation
       members need to sign this. Lucas completed a draft currently
       under review, tarted discussion on foundation list, got a lot
       comments and feedback, and summarized the discussion points. The
       board seems to be still interested in proposing Code of Conduct
       as an official guideline for Foundation members as a way have a
       more clear message about the values of the GNOME community. Lucas
       will send an updated official proposal to members this week.
     * Lucas & Alberto - Set up a Euro bank account. Still in progress.
       Lucas contacted Chema from GNOME Hispano for advice but still no
       reply.
     * Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if
       necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar,
       but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the
       website up-to-date.
     * Rosanna - Will check who received the 2008 Annual Report and send
       an email to board-list letting everybody know who received them.
     * Rosanna - Will send a new updated version of the GnuCash file
       soon.
     * Srini - Ping John Palmieri for status about importing Paypal data
       into GnuCash. John Palmieri was pinged, but no response yet.
     * Srini - Send out the GUADEC call-for-hosts, and the next meeting
       will be an IRC meeting to discuss. This is done. Srini has the
       meeting logs, but these are not yet published in the wiki. Yet to
       format and upload and announce the meeting logs. Leaving this as
       an open action item until the logs are available.
     * Stormy - To propose a case study on how the improvements we made
       with bugzilla made a difference as input for the marketing
       materials for why the Foundation needs to hire a system
       administrator. Max sent a write-up. Working with the GNOME
       Journal folks to turn it into a GNOME Journal article
       (tentatively have an author).
     * Stormy - To schedule a meeting with companies that do consulting
       work with GNOME to start discussions on how we can help (how can
       we work together). Sent email. Got a couple of positive
       responses. Will follow up with others and schedule meeting.
     * Stormy - To follow up with the Advisory Board about acquiring a
       second machine. Email sent, but no response yet.
     * Stormy - Will set up a "Wish List" Wiki page to highlight things
       that the GNOME community needs help with funding with a link from
       Friends of GNOME.
     * Vincent - Touch base with Matthew Garrett and with the GNOME
       community to determine how the GNOME Code of Conduct needs to be
       enhanced to reflect speakers. Ongoing. First draft is available,
       need to push this. Vincent sent a ping to put this on the wiki
       for public review. Draft published at
       http://live.gnome.org/CodeOfConduct/SpeakerGuidelines
       and will announce it to the membership for review next week.
     * Vincent - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are
       expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct. Waiting
       for Lucas' action on Code of Conduct.
     * Vincent - Follow-up with Intel to determine what to do about
       copyright assignment for clutter. Waiting for an official update
       from Intel. Ongoing
     * Vincent - Check records of organizations with existing contracts
       to use the GNOME trademark. Ongoing.
     * Vincent - Follow up with Michael Meeks and Bradley Kuhn to see if
       there is an interest in defining a policy the release team can
       follow to know whether a project with a copyright assignment
       requirement can be accepted or not. What sorts of copyright
       assignments are acceptable? Draft is under review.
     * Vincent - To discuss co-location organizing with the KDE board.
     * Vincent - Start the bidding process for co-location in 2011. Joe
       "Zonker" Brockmeier might be a good person to help.
     * Vincent - Will notify the Libre Graphics Meeting organizers about
       how we will handle fees. The board will handle GSoC and not
       charge a fee for money received via PayPal, but will charge the
       normal fee for any money received not via PayPal.

New Action Items

     * Behdad - Will follow-up with the BODHost offer on the syadmin
       list.
     * Diego - Will lead the board member review process: pick a date,
       send reminders and coordinate with Stormy the missing members
       surveys
     * Diego - Will help Stormy to organize the Zaragoza event.
     * Jorge - Will ping J5 to coordinate what is necessary to improve
       PyGTK+ maintainership.
     * Vincent - Will send call-for-bids and press release for
       co-locating in 2011.
     * Vincent - Will find people to attend the Free Software and Open
       Source Foundation for Africa in Ghana and Idlelo events.
     * Vincent - Will get in contact with local LinuxTag community to
       organize a track in German.

Discussed on the mailing list

     * Discussion about Lucas Rocha stepping down and finding an
       appropriate replacement. On February 17th, it was announced that
       Jorge Castro will be replacing Lucas on the board.
     * The GNOME Foundation filed taxes on February 16th.
     * Discussion about adopting a "Conflict of Interest" policy as
       needed to comply with the IRS to maintain the GNOME Foundation's
       tax free status.
     * Planning with the KDE community for a co-located summit in 2011.
     * Dave Neary provided more details about how to manage the costs
       and revenue for the GNOME training sessions that he proposes be
       held at GUADEC 2011. The terms are under discussion.
     * The board approved paying the $5,264 travel costs associated with
       the Usability hackfest.
     * Planning for the a11y hackfest, including making final travel
       subsidy arrangements.
     * On-going discussion about the draft policy/statement on Copyright
       Assignment which Michael Meeks wrote.
     * The GNOME Foundation has a contract to pay Joanmarie Diggs $6,000
       for WekKitGTK+ related accessibility work, which Joanmarie
       recently completed. The board approved paying the amount owed.
     * One of the two Zoom2 units that Texas Instruments donated to the
       GNOME Foundation was given to Steve Sakoman who intends to get
       the GNOME stack running on it.
     * The draft "Employee Handbook" was updated to reflect discussions
       between Brian and Zana about how expenses are handled and the new
       version is under review.
     * Discussion about setting up the new Friends of GNOME donation
       ruler.
     * The GNOME Foundation received an invitation from the Free
       Software and Open Source Foundation for Africa (FOSSFA) to attend
       the bi-annual conference on FOSS and the Digital Commons. This
       will be held in May in Accra, Ghana.
     * The GNOME Foundation received an invitation to participate in
       Idlelo, a large (500 people) open source event in Africa. In
       addition to the conference, they will have an e-government day
       and 3 days of training. GNOME is invited to participate at no
       cost and provide a 3 day desktop training session, and a booth.
     * Planning for having a GNOME presence at Linux Tag and the OSS
       Watch conferences.
     * Shane Phillip from BODHost offered the GNOME Foundation web
       hosting services. They said that if the The GNOME Project website
       is hosted with BODhost, that they will offer The GNOME Foundation
       their services as sponsorship and also provide complete managed
       24x7 live support along with the servers that they will provide.
       In return the GNOME Foundation provides a simple link on the
       GNOME website footer.
     * Sharif J. Alexandre from XIPWIRE offered the Text Pledging
       functionality of XIPWIRE to the GNOME Foundation completely free
       of charge. They have created an "oss" campaign where people can
       simply text "oss" to 56624 (XIPWIRE's commercial shortcode
       number) to pledge a default amount of $10 and are wondering if
       the GNOME Foundation would be interested in participating.
     * The board voted to approve counting the $19,578 received from
       2009 Friends of GNOME funds towards the sysadmin campaign.
     * Andy Wingo requested if it would be possible to colocate the GNU
       Hackers Meeting with GUADEC 2010. The board approved.
           o http://www.gnu.org/ghm/2009/
     * Igalia requested a letter of support from the GNOME Foundation to
       help them prepare for a bid. The letter was provided as requested.
     * John (J5) Palmieri sent an email to the board highlighting that
       PyGTK+ does not have a maintainer and may need some help from the
       board.
     * The GNOME Foundation received a complaint about inappropriate
       content on http://planet.gnome.org, which the board is responding
       to.
_______________________________________________
foundation-announce mailing list
foundation-announce <at> gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-announce

Gmane