Emmanuele Bassi | 18 Oct 16:10 2011
Picon

Meeting Minutes Published - August 23, 2011

The meeting minutes for the August 23rd GNOME Foundation board
meeting is now published. Refer here:

   http://live.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20110823

Other past board meetings are archived here:

   http://live.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes

-- text of the latest minutes follows --

= Minutes for Meeting of August 23 =

== Next Meeting ==

 September 6, 2011

== Attending ==

 * Brian Cameron
 * Emmanuele Bassi
 * Karen Sandler
 * Ryan Lortie
 * Shaun !McCance
 * Stormy Peters

== Regrets ==

 * Bastien Nocera
 * Rosanna Yuen

== New Items ==

 * Consider changing the board meeting time.
   * Same day, but moving it one hour later.
   * Decisions about how to handle Daylight Savings Time issue to be discussed later.

 * Desktop Summit 2013
   * Survey of the foundation membership
     * Do not plan to reuse the questions from the 2009 survey.
     * The Desktop Summit organizers are running a survey as well.
     * Useful for feedback, but should be a separate survey.
     * '''ACTION''': Ryan to look into running a survey for foundation members about the desktop summit.
   * Ask Desktop Summit attendees (maintainers, contributors) and have informal discussions with them.
     * '''ACTION''': Shaun to contact Dave Neary and Ekaterina Gerasimova to get a list of attendees to get
feedback for the summit.
   * Need to provide the GNOME Foundation quote for the announcement ASAP.
   * Need to respond to Stathis Iosifidis, who is planning to apply to host KDE Akademy in Greece next year, and
who asked the board to consider making this event a Desktop Summit.
     * Brian responded on the mailing list highlighting that next year's GUADEC will be held in Spain, but that
The GNOME Foundation is happy to hear ideas of how The GNOME Foundation could help.
   * Desktop Summit post-mortem with Desktop Summit organizers
     * Ryan is attending to a meeting with A Coruña and Deskop Summit organizers.

 * GUADEC 2012
   * Need to announce GUADEC 2012 on foundation-list, foundation-announce, blog.
   * Will do a press release first.
   * '''ACTION''': Karen to write the press release for the GUADEC 2012 announcement.

 * Portland Summit
   * Sriram Ramkrishna sent an email to the board proposing a Portland Summit next May for 3 days.
   * '''ACTION''': Brian will respond to Sriram Ramkrishna and ask for more details about the involvement of
the Foundation for a conference in Portland.

 * FSCONS
   * Travel approved for Ryan Lortie, Ekaterina Gerasimova, and Andreas Nilsson. (Ryan abstained from the
vote as it pertained to his travel.)

 * Google Summer of Code
   * Vincent sent an email about handling Mentor Summit Travel Payments.
     * '''ACTION''': Brian will ask Rosanna for more details about the GSoC payments.

 * Joanmarie Diggs provided us with a proposed a11y budget for FY 2012 and 2013. We should respond.
   * '''ACTION''': Brian will respond to a11y team regarding their budget proposal.
   * Will point out that we need them to help with fundraising.

 * John Sullivan sent an email about GNU Mobile. How should we respond?
   * '''ACTION''': Karen will follow up with John and get more information about GNU Mobile.

 * Fred Muller asked the board to sponsor Software Freedom Day for $4,000. Do we approve?     
   * Need more specific plans.
   * '''ACTION''': Karen will respond to Fred about GNOME Software Freedom Day plans.

 * Friends of GNOME campaign.
   * Gil Forcada suggested ways to improve FoG.
   * Automating and integrating all the sources of revenues for non-profits.
   * Discussion needed between interested parties:
     * Shaun, Bradley Kuhn, Gil Forcada, Karen
   * Start discussion on marketing-list for new campaign types.

 * Was the !MeeGo Handset Bid invoice paid?
   * Not yet paid, but Rosanna is working on it.

 * Boston Summit
   * Colin Walters confirmed to be the point person for local organization.
   * There might be a fallback plan through Collabora in case the venue/organization falls through.

== Completed Actions ==

 * Karen - Will compose a press release by the end of the week.
 * Karen - To send AGM schedule to foundation and advisory board.
 * Karen - Will send the advisory board agenda to the members of the advisory board.

== Status of action items ==

 * Andreas - Will look into the possibility of a Desktop Summit design where the facade is more neutral.
 * Andreas - Will blog a Desktop Summit status report.
 * Andreas - Will discuss with Ryan Lortie providing support contracts for GTK+.
 * Andreas - To verify meeting times for the Desktop Summit.  That August 9th is a good date for the board and AGM
meetings and August 10th for the Advisory Board meeting.  Will confirm on board list, then the advisory
board list.
 * Andreas - To start work on next 2011 Annual Report ASAP (due start FY2012).  Taken over from Paul.
 * Bastien - To discuss the use of badges (a-la Creative Commons, last.fm page colors, or PSN badges).
 * Bastien - To talk to Olav Vitters about using bugzilla to track Friends of GNOME post card sending.
 * Bastien - To get _a_ WebOS/Palm contact from Lennart Poettering.
 * Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
 * Bastien - Will reach out to Dave Richards from the City of Largo to plan for a hackfest there.
 * Bastien - Reach out to the GNOME Advisory Board via email to see if they can help out with providing contacts
at Yahoo.
 * Bastien - To make sure that the "IM, Contacts & Social Hackfest" gets added to http://live.gnome.org/Hackfests.
 * Bastien - To put together a proposal for how technical issues could be mediated within the community.
 * Bastien - Will touch base with the appropriate people in Red Hat to see if the RHN entitlements can be approved.
 * Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James Vasile from legal is working with Brian
on this.
 * Brian - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to use the GNOME trademark. Taken over
from Vincent Untz. Look at the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the GNOME
trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them.  Taken over from Jorge.
 * Brian - Will follow up with the lawyers to discuss what would be involved to provide liability protection
like what the Conservancy provides and to see if they have any perspective about whether the GNOME
Foundation should allow GNOME projects to join Conservancy.
 * Brian - Will touch base with the GIMP organizers to find out their plans for the GIMP money.
 * Brian & Og - To coordinate a fund raising meeting with the GStreamer, a11y, GIMP, and Banshee teams.  Will
draft an agenda.
 * Brian - Follow up with getting Alan Day and Sumana Harihareswara to sign the Copyright Assessment from SFLC.
 * Emily - Get the 2011 Q2 report started.
 * Emmanuele - Will take over Friends of GNOME tasks.
 * Germán - To discuss with GNOME Hispano about them handling GNOME Foundation money in Euros (€).
 * Germán - To track if the new method of boletos generates more or less money from Brazil.
 * Germán - Will assist with the GNOME 3 as a Foundation goal task and to help in getting the GNOME 3 as a
Foundation Goal survey topics together. (Handing over to someone else).
 * Germán - Will finish the Financial section of the quarterly report.
 * Germán - Will talk to membership committee to see if we can do something to help remind people to renew
memberships to avoid people losing the ability to vote.
 * Germán - To send link to previous year's GUADEC's budgets to guadec-list.
 * Germán - Will touch base with the GObject-Introspection Hackfest and make sure that people attending
also attend the Desktop Summit if possible.
 * Karen - Will take over discussions to take over ownership of some GNOME related domains.
 * Karen - Will follow up with !LojaGeek.
 * Karen - Will contact people to try and push forward the organization of Boston Summit.
   * Emailed boston-social, talked to Walter Bender, emailed Jonathan Blandford.
 * Karen - Will follow up with Debian about their usage of the GNOME logo.
   * Emailed with Stefano Zacchiroli, left it that GNOME needs to decide whether it wants to permit this new
combined logo use.
 * Karen - Will follow up with cedwards regarding CiviCRM contract.
     * After some tracking down of the status of the communications, cedwards sent email to get discussions with
Claudian moving again.
 * Karen - Will email Marina to let her know that the board has approved funds for the next year of the Women's
Outreach fund, ccing Board.
     * emailed on 7/13
 * Karen - Will follow up with !LojaGeek again.
 * Karen - Will follow up with Stefano to discuss use of combined Debian/GNOME mark and caution stopping
further use until agreement is settled on.
     * emailed and talked on phone
 * Karen - Will update the contact information in the webpage to add information with respect to fraudulent checks.
     * contacts page edited.
 * Og - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
   * As per Paul's recommendation, I have emailed Vincent to ask him what his idea is for doing this.
   * Still have not heard back from Vincent Untz.
   * Still on !ToDo.
 * Og - To look into Google Checkout as an annual payment option for FoG.
   * Still on !ToDo.
 * Paul - Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-marketing to define the best way for
organizations like guifi.net to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the
community. Diego Urrelo will draft something more concrete for gnome-marketing to determine the best
name and process for managing this. There was a discussion on the mailing list and a few good ideas, Diego
will wrap them up and send them again for further comments.
 * Paul - Will follow-up with Board to read the Advisory Board fees for small businesses proposal, ask for
feedback and set a date to vote by.
 * Paul - To finish the Privacy Policy, get review from James Vasile, etc.
 * Paul - To review Justin's email about updating trademark agreements and email the marketing team for feedback.
 * Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card.
 * Rosanna - Automate the process of entering !PayPal information into !GnuCash.
 * Shaun - Will lead the GNOME Foundation IRC meetings.
 * Stormy - Take care of !GnuCash automation.  Taken over from Paul & Behdad.
 * All board members - To review and comment Brian's April 14th proposal regarding better organizing
earmarked fundraising.
 * All board members - Review the received bids for GUADEC 2012.
 * Unowned - To find a way to automate the process of exporting results from internal review process and email
it to the board. 
 * Ryan and Emmanuele - Will talk to the other members of the GTK+ team about the co-location.
 * Germán and Ryan - Will relay the board's recommendations to the membership committee about renewal and
expiration of membership.
 * Emmanuele - Will talk to Alberto Ruiz about the board's position on PGO policy changes.
 * Stormy - To ask LWN if they can automate it with gnome.org addresses.
 * Bastien(?) - Make sure gnome.org addresses expire when membership expires.

=== New Action Items ===

 * Ryan - To look into running a survey for foundation members about the desktop summit.
 * Karen - To write the press release for the GUADEC 2012 announcement.
 * Karen - Will respond to Fred, responding positively, but asking for more information about Software
Freedom Day.
 * Karen - Will follow up with John and get more information about GNU Mobile.
 * Shaun - To contact Dave Neary and Ekaterina Gerasimova to get a list of attendees to get feedback for the summit.
 * Brian - Will respond to Sriram Ramkrishna and ask for more details about the involvement of the Foundation
for a conference in Portland.
 * Brian - Will ask Rosanna for more details regarding GSoC payments.
 * Brian - Will respond to a11y team regarding their budget proposal.

== Discussed on the mailing list ==

 * Events
   * Desktop Summit (Berlin, Germany, August 6-12)
     * https://www.desktopsummit.org/
     * Planning and coordinating during the Desktop Summit (e.g. the board, advisory board, AGM meetings, with KDE).
     * Discussing how to reach out to the GNOME Foundation community to get feedback about whether to consider a
Desktop Summit for 2013.
   * GObject-Introspection hackfest (Berlin, August 10-15)
     * https://live.gnome.org/Hackfests/Introspection2011
     * Planning for the event.
   * COSCUP 2011 (Taipei, Taiwan, August 20-21).
     * http://coscup.org/2011/en/
     * Planning for having GNOME talks and representation at COSCUP 2011.
     * Bastien is one of the speakers at this event.
   * FSCONS (Gothenburg, Sweden, November 11-13)
      * http://fscons.org/
      * Andreas Nilsson requested the board consider covering travel costs for 2 or 3 GNOME speakers.
   * Frederic Muller requested the board consider how GNOME support Software Freedom Day (Saturday,
September 17)
     * http://softwarefreedomday.org/
   * Stathis Iosifidis, who is planning to apply to host KDE Akademy in Greece next year, asked the board to
consider making this event a Desktop Summit.

 * Brian provided Emmanuele with the process for publishing the meeting minutes.

 * ED Karen Sandler will be on vacation August 29 through September 2, 2011.

--

-- 
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name
B: http://blogs.gnome.org/ebassi
_______________________________________________
foundation-announce mailing list
foundation-announce <at> gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-announce

Gmane