Home
Reading
Searching
Subscribe
Sponsors
Statistics
Posting
Contact
Spam
Lists
Links
About
Hosting
Filtering
Features Download
Marketing
Archives
FAQ
Blog
 
Gmane
From: Andrea Veri <av <at> gnome.org>
Subject: Minutes of the Board Meeting of June, 27th, 2016
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gnome.foundation.announce
Date: Thursday 7th July 2016 09:09:26 UTC (12 months ago)
= Foundation Board Minutes for Monday, June 27th 2016, 19:30 UTC =

Next meeting date Tuesday, July 5th, 17:00 UTC

Wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20160627

== Attending ==

 * Shaun McCance
 * Allan Day
 * Nuritzi Sanchez
 * Meg Ford
 * Cosimo Cecchi
 * Alexandre Franke
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Jim Hall
 * Jeff F. T. (outgoing)

== Regrets ==

 * Ekaterina Gerasimova (outgoing)
 * Andrea Veri (outgoing)

== Missing ==


== Agenda ==

 * GNOME Board Team building (Nuritzi)

 * Annual Report
  * Revised pricing estimates
  * Data visualization for financial report

=== Ongoing ===

'''The following section is part of the Agenda and includes items which
have seen updates in the last 30 days.  Items which have been updated more
than 30 days ago are listed under the "Ongoing but stalled" section.'''

 * GUADEC Manchester bid
 * Owncloud shared calendar for the board
 * Annual report completion

== Minutes ==

 * New board is effective today and can start voting

 * Annual Report
  * Jeff got a new estimate for pricing, but will need to be updated to use
the correct dimensions
  * Mostly finishing touches and a couple of charts/graphs missing now

 * GNOME Board team building
  * Would be nice if our meetings had a more human element to them
  * Team building is different than onboarding
  * Nuritzi volunteers to lead a team building workshop at the GUADEC
meeting
  * Could use the morning before the advisory board meeting
   * Or 1-2 hours during the first day if that works better
  * We can plan for 2h and scale it down if the agenda looks too busy
  * ACTION: Allan to open a wiki page with the GUADEC meeting agenda
   * https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoardPrivate/GUADEC/2016/Agenda

 * New board meeting time
  * 17:00 UTC Tuesday
  * ACTION: Nuritzi to send out announcement to list


== Ongoing ==

'''This section includes items which have seen an update in the last 30
days. Format is "YYYY-MM-DD, action|discussion|abstract" for this and
subsequent minutes sections'''

 * GUADEC Manchester bid
  * 2016-05-09
   * The Board received a bid from Manchester for GUADEC 2017
   * There's a document to review
   * ACTION: Kat will collect and send comments once we have reviewed the
document
  * 2016-05-23
   * Action item still pending for Kat to collect/send feedback

 * Owncloud shared calendar for the board
  * 2016-05-23, ACTION: Allan will try if it's functional enough for us to
use it now
  * 2016-06-06, Allan's tried it and reminders don't seem to work. Needs to
follow up.
  * 2016-06-20, Since it works for Andrea, but not for Allan, help would be
welcome from someone else for testing.

 * Annual report
  * 2016-06-06: financial report is still missing, printing requires having
an hard deadline set, ideally mid-week
  * 2016-06-13: texts all gathered now, undergoing editing and layout
  * 2016-06-20, Layout in progress, got some quotes from print shop. Will
need budget soon, but should be cheaper than last year (should be around
$300)


=== Ongoing but stalled ===

'''This section includes items which haven't seen an update in the last 30
days.'''

 * ED search update
  * 2015-12-01, No news received in recent weeks, mostly because of
holidays
  * 2015-12-08, 3 candidates are going to have a couple of one hour
interviews with ~2 members of the hiring committee per interview.
Scheduling of these metings is just beginning.
  * 2015-12-15 to 2016-01-12, No updates.
  * 2016-01-19
   * Committee has completed interview with two final candidates 
   * They should have a final answer/proposal to the board within a few
weeks
  * 2016-02-02, Expect more news this week - we'll start scheduling
interviews soon
  * 2016-02-09
   * Sri from the ED committee wants to present to the Board at next week's
meeting
   * A list of candidates that are deemed good and have been vetted by the
committee will be presented at the meeting
  * 2016-02-16, The ED Search committee converged on a single candidate
  * 2016-02-23, The item has been discussed during the meeting, details are
available at https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2016-February/msg00003.html
  * 2016-03-14, Jonathan Blandford (jrb) has agreed to lead
  * 2016-04-11, Jonathan mailed the Board mentioning the ED Search
Committee is back on track, they'll start meeting on a regular basis again
  * 2016-05-09
   * There was a question about whether we should revise the position/job
description, but the Board did not come to a conclusion on this in previous
discussion
   * ACTION: Rosanna to tell Jonathan to go ahead with the job search

 * Google Play account
  * 2015-12-01, ACTION: Alexandre to follow up with the Release Team about
this
  * 2015-12-08, Alexandre mailed the Release Team today, still waiting for
an answer.
  * 2015-12-15 to 2016-01-19, No updates.
  * 2016-02-02, Release team did not come to an agreement/conclusion.
Unclear what next steps should be

 * Status of logo copyright
  * 2015-12-01, ACTION: Shaun to send out email to d-d-l with proposal
  * 2015-12-08 to 2016-01-19, No updates.
  * 2016-02-02, Shaun will try to pick it up this week

 * Meta-discussion on attracting new contributors -  https://etherpad.gnome.org/p/attracting-contributors-discussion
  * 2016-01-05, Item has been deferred.
  * 2016-02-09, Allan and Jeff have a list of ideas, we could rank them by
feasibility/effectiveness and take action on the first few

 * Bitcoins donations data
  * Tobi is the only person with access to the Bitcoin donations data
  * 2016-02-23, ACTION: Alexandre to get in touch with him about this
  * 2016-03-01, Account is on BitPay using [email protected]

 * Conference sponsorships
  * 2016-03-15
   * ACTION: Kat to adapt a contract from previous years' conference
brochures
   * ACTION: Jeff to chase the companies for a second time after the pages
(where the status of whether/which companies have been contacted is listed)
are up to date

 * Friends of GNOME
  * 2016-04-04, ACTION: Andrea to get in touch with Tobi about what he
needs in order to migrate the Paypal scripts over to the GNOME Foundation
Infrastructure
  * 2016-04-04, ACTION: Shaun to investigate other possible solutions to
mere Python scripts + Paypal API solution
  * 2016-04-04, ACTION: Allan to investigate what information is needed to
answer [email protected] queries, with a view to potentially turning off
paypal notifications to that address.
   * 2016-04-11: Allan has documented the result of conversations with
Rosanna and Tobi here: https://wiki.gnome.org/Engagement/FriendsOfGNOME/FAQ
. Next step is to discuss the privacy aspests.
  * 2016-04-04, ACTION: Allan to get in touch with the Engagement team
about all this as a first step,with a view to recruiting people to maintain
Friends of GNOME and document how it operates.
  * 2016-04-11, ACTION: Alexandre to request more information about the
donation data from the European donations system (Wau Holland Stiftung
Foundation)

  * Selling 3rd party merch at confs
   * 2016-04-11, There's a proposal (by Allan) to sell third party
merchandise during GNOME events

 * Google ad grant
  * 2016-02-02, Alexandre to follow up with the procedure to get registered
  * 2016-02-09 to 2016-02-23, No updates
  * 2016-03-01, Shaun will ask his contacts about TechSoup as joining the
organization is required for us to be recognized as a non-profit from
Google
  * 2016-04-11, Rosanna to provide Shaun the needed tax-related
documentation (IRS Data check should be enough for Google to assign the
grant if the non-profit is US based)

 * GUADEC registration fee vs donation system
  * 2016-05-02, ACTION: Alexandre to ask WHS about the fee

=== Ongoing but no director assigned ===

'''This section includes items which haven't seen an update in the last 30
days and have no Director assigned'''

 * Sysadmin fundraising levels and perks (last discussion from 2016-01-05)
  * 2016-01-12, Awaiting for Andrea's reply
  * 2016-01-19
   * Andrea replied back to Jeff
   * Jeff to bring the item back during any of the upcoming meetings
  * 2016-02-23, Jeff un-assigned the action item from himself, no current
assignee


== Nice to have ==

'''This section includes items which we would love to see happen at some
point but lack the time to effectively become reality'''

 * Web page for prior pants winners
  * Shaun and Allan to do this

 * Contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
  * Kat to draft this

 * Gifts situation
   * Inventory management: some stuff we have heaps of, some we run out of
stock quickly; consider an on-demand production service
   * Christian to investigate

 * Licensing of artwork and visual assets
  * Engagement team doesn't always licence photos on gnome.org and soon. We
need guidelines for them to follow.
  * Allan and Sri to draft guidelines and discuss withthe Engagement Team

 * Privacy campaign funds
  * Previous plan was for Kat to propose privacy bounty T&C/rules for
review
  * Cosimo to follow up with interested parties on how to spend the Privacy
campaign funds

 * GNOME logo use by podiatrist - possible trademark infringement
  * Shaun to check the trademark details for the GNOME logo and update the
licensing page on the website (obsolete)

 * Money raised for defense against Groupon
  * Kat to draft a call for Free Desktop-style hackfests which would be
sponsored with money raised for defence against Groupon

 * Logo usage for t-shirts
  * Allan to carry on with the process and follow up and have some general
guidelines written down for future cases

 * Standard code of conduct for GNOME annual events (so we don't have to
reinvent the wheel each year)
  * Cosimo to follow up in the upcoming meetings and prepare a version of
the CoC to be finally considered final over all the GNOME yearly events

 * Privacy policy for GNOME services
  * Current draft is at https://wiki.gnome.org/Foundation/Privacy
  * Sysadmin Team's NDA should also be covered when dealing with this item
  * Andrea to write up the policy

 * gnome-software privacy issues
  * Software sends information to third parties; could have legal
implications for GNOME
  * Allan to look at this

 * Photography policy for GNOME conferences
  * Cosimo to draft a proposal to discuss on foundation-list

== Completed actions ==

 * Unixstickers
  * 2016-02-02
   * Allan has an action item to follow up with this
   * Kat put some information on the agreements page for similar cases
  * 2016-02-09, Allan drafted email - need to send that out
  * 2016-02-16, Allan has been in touch with them. Got a good response and
sent a draft agreement document. Will be having a call with them on Friday.
  * 2016-02-23 (excerpts taken from the mailing list)
   * Allan confirms the Unixstickers team read the draft trademark
agreement and acknowledged it
   * 10% of the proceeds will be returned back as royalties
   * Only GNOME sticakers are sold right now, the idea is to encourage them
to also sell t-shirts and mugs
  * 2016-03-01, Allan followed up and is now waiting to hear back to
Unixstickers
  * 2016-03-08, Allan to ask who will pay for postage
  * 2016-03-22, they'll pay for sticker postage
  * 2016-04-04, Allan has asked Pam to draft an agreement for them to sign.
Waiting to hear back.
  * 2016-05-02
   * Pam sent a draft back to the Board, certain details (such as royalty
prices for items) are still to be discussed
   * A vote has happened on the mailing list as a general "we're good with
it" approval, another vote will be required before signing it
  * 2016-05-23, we got a signed agreement back, but there's some details to
work out first. Currently waiting for a response.
  * 2016-06-13, Allan has sent them a copy of the agreement to sign.
Waiting to hear back.
  * 2016-06-27: Jeff has signed the agreement. Allan has sent it back to
them and archived it on the wiki - action item is complete.

-- 

Cheers,

Andrea

Debian Developer,
Fedora / EPEL packager,
GNOME Sysadmin Team Coordinator,
GNOME Foundation Membership & Elections Committee Chairman

Homepage: http://www.gnome.org/~av
 
CD: 4ms