K. Frank | 5 Jun 03:08 2010
Picon

Re: How to get started with mingw multi-threaded programming

Hello All -

Apparently no c++0x threads yet...

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 9:19 PM, K. Frank <kfrank29.c@...> wrote:
> Hello Keith and List -
> In a previous posting I asked:
>
>   Would anybody know if
>
>      g++ -std=c++0x
>
>   will give me decent thread support with mingw?  (I'm currently
>   using g++ version 4.4.1.  What if I upgrade to version 4.5?)
>
> It appears that linux version of g++ 4.4 supports threads, but the
> mingw version doesn't.  For example, see:
>
>   http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/35840730/summary-of-c0x-feature.aspx
>
> A little odd: "#include <thread>" compiles (with -std=c++0x), but
> "std::thread t;" doesn't.  The guts of the header file "thread' are
> protected by:
>
>   #if defined(_GLIBCXX_HAS_GTHREADS) && defined(_GLIBCXX_USE_C99_STDINT_TR1)
>
> That is (more directly), will upgrading to mingw g++ 4.5 give me
> std::thread (using -std=c++0x)?

I downloaded mingw g++ 4.5, but no luck with c++0x threads.
I don't know where it would or would not be defined, but a simple

   #ifdef _GLIBCXX_HAS_GTHREADS

test in main shows this flag not to be defined, and this deactivates
the contents of thread.  (That is, #include <thread> compiles, but
doesn't do anything.)

>From scattered comments on the web it appears that gthreads
is a gnu wrapper for pthreads (and maybe some other threading
libraries) that hasn't been incorporated into mingw (or cygwin) yet
(even though there is a gthread-win32.c and people have built glib
for windows).

(If anybody knows more about what is going here, please chime in.)

Thanks.

K. Frank

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.