From: Keith Marshall <keithmarshall-Rn4VEauK+AKRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Fixing mingw support in Python's distutils
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user
Date: Monday 20th May 2013 08:50:59 UTC (over 3 years ago)
On 19 May 2013 23:37, Oscar Benjamin wrote:

> So my question is: Does anyone know if there ever were any versions of
> mingw that accepted the '-mno-cygwin' option and were also capable of
> linking against msvcr90.dll?

Any version which does accept -mno-cygwin should be capable of linking
against MSVCR90.DLL, provided you have the appropriate import lib, and
adjust the specs file accordingly; (certainly true for GCC-3.x onward,
until the cygwin folks declared -mno-cygwin officially dead).  However,
such linking capability is not supported by default; *you* must tweak
your MinGW configuration to support it.

Or even better, can anyone say in which releases of mingw the
> following occurred:
> 1) The '-mno-cygwin' option was made a no-op.

 MinGW has *never*, AFAIK, *required* -mno-cygwin; it has *always* been a
no-op, (certainly throughout the ten or more years I've been using, and
have been associated with MinGW; I have *never* used -mno-cygwin).

2) The '-mno-cygwin' option stopped being accepted.

You'll have to ask the cygwin folks; they are the architects of the
-mno-cygwin madness, and it is only *their* native GCC which has ever
implemented it as anything other than a no-op.  I believe that they
began the deprecation process during the transition from GCC-3.x to
GCC-4.x, but I've no idea how far inertia carried support into 4.x.

> 3) Support for msvcr90.dll was added.

I don't know which version of GCC was prevalent at the time, but the
ChangeLog indicates that it first appeared in mingwrt-3.14, towards the
end of 2007; (this may have been during the interregnum, when we lacked
an active maintainer to bring us forward from GCC-3.x to GCC-4.x).

--
Regards,
Keith.

CD: 4ms