From: Earnie Boyd <earnie-Rn4VEauK+AKRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Fixing mingw support in Python's distutils
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user
Date: Monday 20th May 2013 12:50:59 UTC (over 4 years ago)
On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 7:35 AM, Oscar Benjamin wrote:
> On 20 May 2013 09:50, Keith Marshall wrote:
>>
>>> Or even better, can anyone say in which releases of mingw the
>>> following occurred:
>>> 1) The '-mno-cygwin' option was made a no-op.
>>
>>  MinGW has *never*, AFAIK, *required* -mno-cygwin; it has *always* been
>> no-op, (certainly throughout the ten or more years I've been using, and
>> have been associated with MinGW; I have *never* used -mno-cygwin).
>
> Well this is better than I thought. If the '-mno-cygwin' option was
> *never* meaningful for mingw then this is a very simple problem. I
> wonder why this wasn't spotted before. Is there a way for me to
> confirm this by e.g. having a link to the source of an old revision of
> mingw?

There is no need to confirm if removing -mno-cygwin will break
anything, we can assure you that it should not at least as far as
MinGW GCC is concerned.  We do not know if Python did anything special
because of it but I would doubt it.

As for support of when it was removed, you'll need to go look at the
http://gcc.gnu.org ChangeLog to see if you
can find it.  For Cygwin it
was a decision made for the 1.7.x release because it became a
nightmare for them to support.  It was much easier for them to
actually use a cross compiler method.

--
Earnie

[email protected]

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.