From: Earnie Boyd <earnie-Rn4VEauK+AKRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Fixing mingw support in Python's distutils
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user
Date: Monday 20th May 2013 13:54:19 UTC (over 4 years ago)
On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Paul Moore wrote:
> So building an extension using --compiler=mingw in Python could pick up a
> cygwin gcc if that was on PATH, and this will work as long as -mno-cygwin
is
> passed on the command line. But it won't work (it will build a DLL with a
> dependency on the cygwin DLL) if -mno-cygwin is omitted. I'd argue that
> people should just install and use mingw rather than cygwin, but that may
> not be what everyone does in practice.

No!!! The -mno-cygwin abomination is dead.  If you want to build a
native Python using Cygwin you would do it the cross compiler way and
state the --host you're configuring for.  Python's distutil needs to
remove the -mno-cygwin option.

> The real problem here is that no-one knows if people actually try to
build
> (native windows) Python extensions by installing Cygwin and using
distutils
> with Cygwin's gcc on PATH. I suspect that some do, but they may not have
> been able to do so successfully for some years because of the runtime
> compatibility issues. That's essentially the OP's question, but maybe it
> needs directing at the cygwin folks.

If they do they'll need to use the cross compilers.

--
Earnie

[email protected]

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.