From: <lynx.abraxas <at> freenet.de>
Subject: Fresnel effect too dominant for IOR=1.5
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.graphics.yafray.devel
Date: Sunday 13th January 2008 09:55:51 UTC (over 8 years ago)
Hello!

First of all thanks for the great free raytracer. I started with
blender/yafray a few weeks ago and am very impressed  what can be done with
it.
But when trying to get a realistic wine glas with yafray and caustics I got
stuck reducing the fresnel effect. In the net I found a statement that it
would be implicit linked to IOR. Comparing it with the blender internal
raytracer and physical values (5 and 1.25, http://www-nw.uni-regensburg.de/~.grr06742.back.physik.uni-regensburg.de/BLENDER/GLAS_B~1.PNG)
it is obviously too dominant (freoff= 1.25: http://www-nw.uni-regensburg.de/~.grr06742.back.physik.uni-regensburg.de/BLENDER/GLAS_B~2.PNG)
in yafray pics even if the fresnel offset is set to the maximum of 5
(freoff= 5.00: http://www-nw.uni-regensburg.de/~.grr06742.back.physik.uni-regensburg.de/BLENDER/GLAS_B~3.PNG).
I would like to know where the strength of the fresnel effect is set in the
code of yafray or how to influence it in the xml code (I couldn't find any
docs on that and changing the fresnel offset to negativ values in the xml
file didn't help).

By the way: When disableing RayMirror in the Blender yafray settings the
fresnel effect does not disappear. It just seems to influence the shading
ad the sides of the glas.
I'm using yafray 0.9 and blender 2.45.

Any help or hints apreciated
Lynx