Brian Warner | 10 Aug 20:38 2011
Picon

apps.meego.com, apps.formeego.com, and a clarification or two.

Hi everyone,

As was mentioned earlier, the LF recently had to make a tough call that we won't be able to host the MeeGo community app store on our infrastructure at OSU.  An addition to the core MeeGo project of this scope takes a non-trivial amount of time, people, server space, bandwidth, cooling, legal review, and so on.  This is a really resource intensive activity across all lines, operational, legal, technical, etc.

We know this hasn't been a popular decision, but I want to be really clear: we're fully behind the idea of a community app store, and are happy to see apps.formeego.com take shape. The domain has been approved for a little while now (see bug 20531) and we are happy to do whatever we can to support this.  Thomas and I had been talking about using this domain on a separate topic prior to this discussion, and we're fully behind it.  MeeGo has, from the start, been about choice, and it is great to see an all-open, all-community app store taking shape alongside AppUp, Ovi, WeTab Market, and others we may haven't even heard of yet.

We discussed this during yesterday's Community Office IRC meeting.  If you want more details, the logs are here: http://irclogs.meego.com/meetbot/meego-meeting/2011/meego-meeting.2011-08-09-13.54.log.html

On a final note, sorry that the communication wasn't so good here.  I was on leave for a little while longer than expected, but am back now if you have any questions that aren't answered in that transcript.

Brian

Gmane