From: Brian Warner <brian.warner-vYTEC60ixJUAvxtiuMwx3w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: apps.meego.com, apps.formeego.com, and a clarification or two.
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.handhelds.meego.community
Date: Wednesday 10th August 2011 18:38:10 UTC (over 5 years ago)
Hi everyone,

As was mentioned earlier, the LF recently had to make a tough call that we
won't be able to host the MeeGo community app store on our infrastructure
at
OSU.  An addition to the core MeeGo project of this scope takes a
non-trivial amount of time, people, server space, bandwidth, cooling, legal
review, and so on.  This is a really resource intensive activity across all
lines, operational, legal, technical, etc.

We know this hasn't been a popular decision, but I want to be really clear:
we're fully behind the idea of a community app store, and are happy to see
apps.formeego.com take shape. The domain has been approved for a little
while now (see bug 20531) and we are happy to do whatever we can to support
this.  Thomas and I had been talking about using this domain on a separate
topic prior to this discussion, and we're fully behind it.  MeeGo has, from
the start, been about choice, and it is great to see an all-open,
all-community app store taking shape alongside AppUp, Ovi, WeTab Market,
and
others we may haven't even heard of yet.

We discussed this during yesterday's Community Office IRC meeting.  If you
want more details, the logs are here:
http://irclogs.meego.com/meetbot/meego-meeting/2011/meego-meeting.2011-08-09-13.54.log.html

On a final note, sorry that the communication wasn't so good here.  I was
on
leave for a little while longer than expected, but am back now if you have
any questions that aren't answered in that transcript.

Brian

CD: 3ms