From: Dave Neary <dneary-41UWDLvetLrYtjvyW6yDsg <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: About the "invalid tar magic"
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.handhelds.meego.devel
Date: Tuesday 18th May 2010 08:15:28 UTC (over 6 years ago)
Hi,

Zheng Zhang wrote:
> I have some troubles when I following the instruction of
> http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/Meego_chroot_install_on_N900,
> when the command " tar xzf   -C $MEEGO_ROOT" is running to
> unpack Meego rootfs image there. I get an error about* "invalid tar
> magic"*. And the instruction said that "There's some problem between GNU
> tar and Busybox tar. Solution is to install GNU tar from Maemo Extras
> (package name is tar-gnu)".I have download the "tar-gnu" package and
> install it ,but it does not work,it still has the "invalid tar
> magic"error.So how do I resolve this problem? Thank you!

tar has a magic number in the header - you can see the magic number for
tar here:
http://www.astro.keele.ac.uk/oldusers/rno/Computing/File_magic.html

If you open the tar file in a binary-capable editor, you should see
"ustar" at an offset of 257 bytes in the header. If you don't, it's not
a tar file.

I found this:
http:[email protected]e.org/msg09380.html
when
looking for "busybox tar gnu" - the thread seems to point to the problem
as well as the solution for busybox tar. The alternative solution is to
actually run GNU tar after installing it - find where it is and run it
directly with the path (eg. /usr/local/bin/tar) or whatever).

Cheers,
Dave.

--
maemo.org docsmaster