From: Larry J on his Dell LT <larry-Js9fFXVCjzFWk0Htik3J/w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: IR Blaster control of Dish Network vip222K SD (TV2) output?
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.hardware.lirc
Date: Saturday 18th December 2010 18:53:12 UTC (over 5 years ago)
My IR Blaster controls the HD TV1 (component) output of the Dish box just
fine, no problems.  I feed this into my HD-PVR running under Mythbuntu.
But I would like to record the SD (Standard Definition) output of the dish
box.

I have a spare SD encoder so I thought I would feed this SD output to the
spare encoder when recording Dish content that doesn't need to be HD (news
programs, old movies etc).   This would be easy if the SD (NTSC 4:3) output
of the Dish box (VIP222K) was control-able via IR.  Dishnetwork support
said the only way to control the SD output was with the UHF remote.

  When I disable the UHF output on the UHF (TV2) remote,  the dish box
ignores all remote buttons.   (Inside the UHF remote battery compartment is
a slide switch to control this).  Slide the switch to UHF/IR  and all is
fine,  I can again control the channels with the dishnetwork provided
remote.  So I conclude that dishnetwork support is correct.  No IR control
of the SD TV2 output is possible.   It only responds to  dish remote UHF
signals.

1.  Does anyone know a way to force the VIP222K to accept IR remote signals
that control the SD  TV2 output.

2.  One possible way would be to employ a IR to UHF converter that would
take the output of my blaster and translate that into dish network
acceptable UHF signals.   But this is complicated and requires more
equipment.

Ideas?  Thank you.

Larry

Lotusphere 2011