jastrachan | 13 May 21:11 2004
Picon

Re: [groovy-dev] maven headaches

On 13 May 2004, at 19:45, John Stump wrote:
> Hello,
>
> since I've been tinkering around in the groovy sources lately, I
> have been struggling to get the maven stuff to work. How does
> everyone use this beast? If I make a single source change, the
> only way I have been able to successfully create a new build is
> to run "maven". This of course runs all the unit tests and takes
> about 20 minutes. This makes debugging *very* tedious. One
> slip-up and there goes another 20 minutes...

You don't need to rebuild everything & rerun all the tests to try
things out. You can run test cases in your IDE...

http://groovy.codehaus.org/Unit+Testing

> If I try to run "maven rebuild", I get this failure:
>
> General error during class generation: No such class:
> groovy.DummyInterface Must be a valid interface name for class:
> ArrayParamMethodTest. At [3:7]
> /Users/john/Projects/groovy-head/groovy/groovy-core/target/test-
> classes/groovy/ArrayParamMethodTest.groovy
>
> I reported this issue a long time ago, but it's still there. So
> there must be some obscure maven goal I'm missing, because I
> can't believe all you guys are reruning the unit tests each and
> every build. How do y'all do it?

I've seen this from time to time too - I've no idea where it comes from
or why. Apologies it frustrates me too! :)

I've found that ensuring that things are cleaned down totally before a
build keeps Maven happy. Though I tend to just use eclipse / IDEA for
editing/running things and just do the maven build for a full rebuild
now and again as a unit test.