jastrachan | 19 May 18:49 2004
Picon

Re: [groovy-dev] Static factory method

Agreed - I've thought we should add something like this too. Its
actually quite easy to implement via a patch to MetaClass which is in
charge of instantiating new objects.

The trickiest thing to decide is whats the name of the method to use as
the 'magic constructor method' and to ensure that inside of this method
we really do create a new instance, rather than causing infinite
recursion :). e.g. if Class.new() is equivalent to new Class(), then we
could look for method on a class called make() like this

class Point {
     static Point make(x, y) {
	if (x == 0 & y == 0) {
	    return origin