jastrachan | 26 Jan 11:04 2005
Picon

Re: [groovy-dev] Pragmatic Groovy Development and Project Management

On 25 Jan 2005, at 13:58, John Wilson wrote:
> On 25 Jan 2005, at 13:19, jastrachan@... wrote:
>
>>> James this is all very well but it brings is to the real point of
>>> the discussion.
>>>
>>> People are being given the impression that New Groovy is just a kind
>>> of cleaned up version of Old Groovy. that there will be minor
>>> changes but they will not really have much of an impact. It's really
>>> a kind of rolled up bugfix. Unfortunately this is just not true. New
>>> Groovy has fundamental breaking changes to the semantics of Old
>>> Groovy.
>>
>> What semantics are breaking?  Apart from the delegate stuff, which
>> few people other than you are using, what else is breaking? Sure
>> we're temporarily putting the builder stuff to one side until we've
>> the core of New Groovy on a solid, stable base, then we're adding
>> something back in its place.
>
> The semantics of Builder and GPath are changing because of the removal
> of the delegate and the introduction of optional parentheses in no
> parameter calls. That's quite a chunk of usage (especially Builders).

GPath doesn't use the delegate - its only used by the builders

>>>  I would estimate that 80% of all the Groovy code I have ever
>>> written will be broken by New Groovy. Now we can have perfectly
>>> reasonable discussions about whether this is a good or bad things,
>>> but we can't escape the fact that New Groovy is substantially
>>> different to Old Groovy. I think that the members of the Groovy
>>> community are entitled to be made aware of this fact and I don't
>>> think that they have really grasped the nature and extent of the
>>> changes up to now.
>>
>> 80% come on John. Hardly anyone but you uses the delegate mechanism
>> thats hidden inside Closure. Sure some stuff will break - and we'll
>> find out how much by putting all the old Groovy test cases through
>> the Groovy New parser, but this magical 80% figure is massively
>> pessimistic and not realistic to at least any of the groovy I write.
>
> It's really not just me. From the messages I see on the mailing list
> and the private emails I get there are quite a few people using
> XML-RPC, StreamingBuilders and XMLSlurper.

I don't see why all of these libraries can't be ported over to the new
builder stuff when we figure out what it is.

> All of these are broken to a greater or lesser extent by New Groovy. I
> have no idea how much work must be done to fix the breakage. It looks
> like the StreamingBuilders (which are one of the few bits of the
> distribution actually written in Groovy) will just have to be junked.
> To my horror I discover that a couple of people are using this code in
> production. Anybody using SwingBuilder, or SWST builder are also using
> code which relies on the delegate mechanism. The 'with' hack (one of
> Wirth's many really bad ideas) required user code to change it's not
> just the Builder mechanism which changes behind the scenes.

I've already said that we need to put in place a builder mechanism and
we will - as its definitely the most broken parts of Groovy and needs
fixing. Unfortunately thats gonna mean a minor syntax change.
(Hopefully the content of the markup can stay the same, its just the
start/end of the markup that might differ - e.g. with(exp) rather than
foo.bar)