jstrachan | 27 Jan 05:54 2005
Picon

Re: [groovy-dev] Diff of Java and Groovy grammars

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you see this as a "massive sea change".
Really all John's been doing is formalising the semantics of
blocks/closures in Groovy - something we've always had, in some form,
since day one.

Like I said in the previous mail; blocks and closures are essential core
features of Groovy though in Classic Groovy we never formally defined
them - we just used them. The only real difference between Classic and
New Groovy is that we're defining what return/break/continue mean inside
a closure to follow more properly how closures are used in other
languages (which we always skipped over in Clasic Groovy).

Other than that not much has changed. Given how rare it is that folks
use break/continue/return (the first 2 have never been implemented
AFAIK) its not gonna change that much in reality - the only real
difference is gonna be the tightening up of the 'return' semantics.

 From a language semantic perspective users should be able to think of
blocks and closures as being kinda the same thing (as John describes).
Though thinking of closures as objects you can pass around is another
way of thinking about them too.

James

Gmane