jstrachan | 29 Jan 07:35 2005
Picon

Re: [groovy-dev] Diff of Java and Groovy grammars

Alan Green wrote:
> Mike Spille wrote:
>
>> At 03:02 PM 1/27/2005, you wrote:
>> Right.  OK, so the first example is a closure.  Now what's this?
>>
>>         b = { foo(); };
>>
>> ...where foo is a method returning an int.  Is b a closure or an int?
>

> b is definitely a closure.

Agreed

> The rule I'm seeing here - and I hope John or James will jump in to
> confirm this - is that where a block is part of an expression it isn't
> automatically called, but where it is used as a statement, it is
> executed just like it would be in Java.

Yes

> Expressions:
>
> b = { foo(); };
> b = list.each { foo(); };
>
> Statements:
>
> { foo(); };
> while (true) { foo(); }
> if (true) { foo(); } else {bar(); }
>
>> As I said, this is a slippery slope we're going down.
>

> I think we're at the bottom of this little slope already, though.

Agreed. Plus everything you've just said Alan is in Classic Groovy as
well; we're just trying to formalise/specify exactly what we've been
doing all this time.

>  > John Rose's proposal said things like:
>

>> "A block (closure or open block) normally yields as its value the
>> value of the last statement in the block, or null if there are none."
>>

>> Note that Java and Classic Groovy blocks do not yield a value - there
>> is no "value of a block". This is a huge change.  And hugely
>> ambiguous, as the 'b' example above shows - is b a closure or an int?
>

> I disagree - it's clear enough to me.

Thanks; I'm glad others agree :)

>> Even worse - to get into the more subtle closure return rules, it's
>> advocated that an exception be used as a control device.  Given that
>> Groovy is already thoroughly slow, I can't really envision this as a
>> serious suggestion - yet it was.
>

> The exception isn't part of the Groovy language, just a suggested
> implementation mechanism. If you think it will be too slow, maybe dig up
> some numbers to support your case.

Agreed. Plus you can do really fast stuff with exceptions - especially
if you know that you are never gonna need the stack trace (e.g. using a
singleton exception). Throwing/catching exceptions in the VM is very
fast - its the stack trace creation thats slow.

>> Again, look at the control change proposals:
>>
>>     break;   // exit from innermost do/for/while/switch block
>>     break L;   // exit from block labeled L
>>     break L: x;  // exit from block labeled L with value x (any
>> expression)
>>
>>     continue;   // exit from BODY of innermost do/for/while/switch block
>>     continue L;   // exit from BODY (appended closure arg.) of method
>> call labeled L or BODY of Java loop labeled L
>>     continue L: x;  // ditto, with value x (any expression)
>

> Which means to get the behaviour of a Classic Groovy "return" in New
> Groovy, you can use "continue", and it probably doesn't require an
> exception in the implementation, so that ought to make you happy :).

:)

Its worth saying that really, the main change this would make to groovy
users is that rather than 'return' inside a closure, you'd use
'continue'. Not a massive change really.

> <snip>
>
>> This is fundamentally changing what a "block" means in Groovy,
>

> Yes, but I'd take out the word "fundamentally".
>
>  > it's an attempt to unify closures and blocks.
>
> Yes.
>
>  > Which I think is highly un-groovy.

I think its very groovy - e.g. see Chris's example

>> This brings me back to one of my original questions - what real value
>> does this change bring us?
>

> Well, it brings the behaviour of the "return" keyword more in line with
> its meaning in Java (fixing the "why doesn't this return method work?"
> problem that newbies have with closures), it increases Groovy's
> flexibility and expressiveness, it provides a sensible answer to the
> 'break in closure' question, it gives a clear definition of closure
> syntax and semantics and it does all this while keeping a fairly
> stripped down, scripting like syntax that still looks enough like Java
> that Java programmers can learn it.

Great summary, thanks Alan.

>  > And how much _new_ ambiguity does it pull
>
>> into the mix?
>

> I think it resolves more ambiguities than it creates.

Agreed.

I think at first, to a Java guy who's only got anonymous inner classes
as a guide, the block/closure stuff in Groovy might appear different at
first; but I'm sure once we properly explain them & implement them,
they'll learn to like them (or at least some of them will, you can't
please everyone in language design).