jastrachan | 1 Feb 16:37 2005
Picon

Re: [groovy-dev] Re: thoughts on the closure/return/break/continue issue

On 1 Feb 2005, at 15:32, Martin C. Martin wrote:
> Guillaume Laforge wrote:
>>>
>>> print ( [-2, -6, 5].collect { if (it < 0) -it; else it } )
>>>
>>> results in "[null, null, null]."  If I put a "return" in front of -it
>>> and/or it, I get the proper values for <0 / >=0 respectively.  Is
>>> that a
>>> bug or a feature?  Will it be changed in new groovy?  Should I start
>>> an
>>> issue?
>> Well, it depends if you think it's a bug or a feature :-)
>> I think it's a bug.
>
> I think so too, and it should be pretty easy to fix.  Basically, when
> adding the return, if the last statement is an "if," propagate the
> return to the if/else blocks.  I'll start an issue.
>
> We can only do it for new groovy, if James thinks that's best.

Lets mull over the proposed change a few days first before coding it;
I've had another thought that could simplify the rules for
closures/methods with return/continue I'd like to express & get
feedback on.

By all means create a JIRA issue if you like - but lets delay a few
days implementing it, just to check we're happy with the semantics
we've come up with