jastrachan | 11 Apr 20:18 2005
Picon

[groovy-dev] TCK stuff

I'd like us to start kicking the TCK into shape now that the grammar
has settled down & we've a pretty solid base. I'd like us to focus on
typing as much bad groovy as we can & ensuring the compiler/verifier
correctly barfs with sensible error messages.

At the moment the TCK is a little out of the way from the main
groovy-core module. I'm proposing we move this into the core source
tree, say under groovy-core/src/tck - then we could hopefully
autogenerate the various test cases we need from this codebase &
include the TCK tests as part of the normal build - then we'll be
enouraged to add more and more tests into the TCK and less in the core
RI codebase.

BTW much of the TCK will be about bad use of groovy code & checking for
errors. e.g. of this style of test...

         int a
         int b = 1
         int c,d,e
         int f,g = 2
         int h = 3,i = 4  // extra permutations
         int j = 5,k      // extra permutations
         //int int p// <at> fail:parse

using the  <at> fail annotation in comments - each failing line produces
another test case instance to check it did actually fail.

I'm wondering, should we separate these out (or use a different file
name extension to highlight its a pre processed test case)? As we will
probably have a lot of tests that can be run vanilla? i.e. tests which
are self contained and just pass versus tests like the above that
generate 1 working test and N (where N = the count of  <at> fail tags) tests
that test for a specific line which causes a failure.

However we do it, I'd like us to move the test cases into
groovy-core/src/tck so we can all start working on them & testing more
and more use cases and edge cases.