jastrachan | 26 Mar 08:04 2004
Picon

Re: SwingBuilder / public

On 26 Mar 2004, at 06:24, Guillaume Laforge wrote:
> Hello Rapheal,
>
>>  I am interested in implementing these kinds of things for the
>> SwingBuilder, especially since I will need this functionality one day.
>> Shall I open up an issue and then take it on?  How should I work on
>> this?
>
> First, create yourself an account on JIRA.
> Then, you open an issue.
> Ask us to assign this issue to you (by giving us your account name)
> Then simply submit your suggested patches as attachment to the issue.
> You're welcome to contribute!
> Thanks

Agreed!

Incidentally, I'd often wondered about refactoring a Builder
implementation such as the Swing one so that...

* we maybe separate out the builder plumbing from a 'factory' object
which knows how to make things. e.g.

class SwingFactory {
     frame(map) {
	return new JFrame(map)
     }
     button(map) {
	return new JButton(map)
     }

}

etc.

Secondly there's the option of allowing dynamic registration (as
Rapheal described, so the same class could be used, we just register
some custom widgets via a new factory derivation or factory methods
implemented as closures etc.