jastrachan | 13 Nov 11:16 2004
Picon

quick JSR conference recap

We've just had a fantastic 2-day conference. I'd say 95% of all the
smelly & sucky stuff in the language got fixed; at least all the stuff
folks have hit in the language so far. It was a resounding success - my
heads still spinning with some of the ideas we came up with -  many
many thanks to Jeremy & Guillaume for organising it, Sun for hosting it
and all those who attended (especially those who had to fly all the way
to London).

As well as fixing sucky stuff, we also came up with a couple of very
interesting ideas which we should explore - e.g. with() {...} and
using() { ... } which we can drop onto the wiki to flesh out.

On monday I'm gonna start a jsr directory where we can dump example
test cases for all the things we think should now fail with a compile
time error based on the things we agreed at the conference and start
dropping in wiki specification text and sandbox ideas to flesh out;
then we can start work on the grammar file and I can start an
experimental rewrite of the bytecode generation, removing the big ball
of mud and using something far simpler to grok like Janino.

Lets get Groovy going!