jastrachan | 24 Jan 16:21 2005
Picon

Re: Question on JSR decisions

On 22 Jan 2005, at 21:15, Mike Spille wrote:
> In my documentation efforts, I noted this page:
>
> 	http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GroovyJSR/Decisions
>
> Which lists decisions on Integer Division, Optional Returns, and
> Optional Semi-colon.
>
> But what process were these decided to be official Groovy JSR 1.0
> specification decisions?

They're documented & discussed on the mail list, wiki, irc and
sometimes in person at conferences; then I, as spec lead, tend to make
a call.

> I'm not trying to debate the merits of any individual case, instead
> I'm trying to figure out how an item migrates from the Discussions
> page to the Decisions page.  Given that the JSR is run by an expert
> commitee I imagine a committee vote was put forth?

No. I've been on about 10 or so JSRs and there's never been a single
vote on any of them (other than very occasionally to vote through an
entire specification, but thats very, very rare); they are normally
discussion groups mostly, with the spec lead making the final call when
he/she decides the issue has been resolved.