jastrachan | 2 Feb 09:44 2005
Picon

using annotations instead of a keyword for bean properties

Currently in Classic we have a keyword for making bean properties

class Person
     property String name
     property int age
}

which generates private fields and public getters/setters unless you
explicitly define one.

The thing is, someone might want a bound property (which should
probably be the default as its more useful), some way want unbound
properties (if for some reason they really don't wanna fire events when
properties change), vetoable properties, read-only, write-only,
lazy-created-property etc.

So rather than a specific keyword; I'm thinking it'd be cleaner to use
annotations to annotate a field declaration which can act as a way to
make the getter/setter stuff, so that it is extensible or at least can
be in 2.0 of Groovy - later on we could allow folks to define their own
macros - but for 1.0 we define just one hard coded default
annotation...

class Person
    <at> property String name
    <at> property int age
}

further down the line we could consider adding  <at> unboundProperty or
 <at> vetoableProperty.

Thoughts?

One comment, in Java 5 annotations are typed, so the convention appears
to be to use upper case names for annotations. So it might be better to
use

class Person
    <at> Property String name
    <at> Property int age
}

then it matches the feel of Java 5 annotations?