jastrachan | 15 Apr 22:03 2004
Picon

Re: Groovy Shell VS. Classloader

On 14 Apr 2004, at 19:22, Brandon Goodin wrote:
> What is the performance difference between Groovy Shell and
> Classloader.
>
> To give you some background. I am looking to add groovy script into
> the body of some xml tags. In the course of interpreting the body of
> these tags I would like to use groovy to process some text. So, since
> I can’t break the groovy script into separate files I was wondering
> how performant groovy is when parsing a string with the Groovy Shell
> for dynamic text processing.

The GroovyClassLoader is used inside GroovyShell, so its kinda the same
stuff really - the main difference is GroovyShell is a helper for
evaluating any scripts (e.g. arbitrary expressions, statements) whereas
GroovyClassLoader is a ClassLoader for loading Class objects.

So if you want any kind of arbitrary expression/statement evaluation
you probably want the GroovyShell as its higher level & designed to
make this kinda stuff easier.