jastrachan | 20 Apr 15:48 2004
Picon

Re: Extending existing classes

On 20 Apr 2004, at 10:42, Jon Tirsen wrote:
> You could do this using the Intra-Type Declarations/"partial classes"
> feature I mentioned last week. James, I'm still waiting for an
> "officical" comment on this. :-)

Sorry Jon, didn't realise you were waiting for me :)

I think this is a great idea - at the very least to allow new methods
to be added to any type - adding state is gonna be hard other than
explicitly applying mixins which create new classes (derived types
etc). I guess we should limit these methods within some kind of
'module' so that we can explicitly 'use' a module to install the
necessary methods.

I'm not sure on the syntax we should use for this though.

I've added a page to summarise this in the JSR wiki...

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GroovyJSR/Extending+classes