jastrachan | 5 Jul 11:42 2004
Picon

Re: Running unit tests with the groovy command-line tool

On 5 Jul 2004, at 10:23, Laforge Guillaume wrote:

>> Maybe we should change it that if the class does not have a static
>> main
>> method then it will try running it with TestRunner?
>
> So we should try first to run the main method if present ? Then only
> run the test if it's a test ?
>
>> Incidentally, another tweak I'd like is, if a class is not a test case
>> or have a main method but implements Runnable, then try instantiating
>> the class (using a zero argument constructor, or one that takes a
>> String[] args parameter), then call run().
>
> That should be doable Mr Strachan :-)
> I'll try to see if I can do that this evening when I'm back home.
>
> So, to recap (in pseudo code):
>
> if (theClass has a main method) {
>     run the main method
> } else if (theClass instanceof GroovyTestCase) {
>     use the test runner to run it
> } else if (theClass implements Runnable) {
>     if (theClass has a constructor with String[] params)
>         instantiate theClass with this constructor and run
>     else if (theClass has a no-args constructor)
>         instantiate theClass with the no-args constructor and run
> }
>
> Is it the desired behaviour ?

Sounds great :)

One minor nitpick, we might want to do the 2nd test case (does it
extend GroovyTestCase) using reflection or something to avoid a
ClassNotFoundException if folks are using the GroovyShell embedded
inside some environment where junit is not on the classpath. No biggie
though.