jastrachan | 10 Dec 12:01 2004
Picon

Re: Good News for Groovy

It was a great day - I learnt quite a bit from Guido and Larry; it was
fascinating to hear Guido say that 70% of the time when he's writing
python, he's really using static typing in his head - its just that
metadata never makes it into the python script. It also seems that Perl
6 is doing some crazy stuff :)

Like Guillaume, I'm not sure how soon things could change; there's a
slim chance of a change or two for Java 6; maybe a new class-specific
storage mechanism (so we could attach the Groovy MetaClass to the
actual Class and Jython could do the same - then we get proper GC of
the MetaClass as the class gets GC'd. There may, maybe, be an invoke
dynamic bytecode which we could hopefully use; my worry is ensuring
that the method resolution mechanism is pluggable,

One of the biggest changes we can all make is to help form something
like the CodeDom from .Net - so much of the Java platform does bytecode
generation now from languages to JSP, XPath / XSLT to template engines,
databases (e.g. Derby) to all the AOP stuff. We all really need a
single, shared CodeDom-like thing to make things easy to parse
bytecode, twiddle it & generate it. The view seemed to be to create a
project somewhere & maybe turn it into a JSR later on. Though for RAD
development, maybe just using Janino is a better bet...