jastrachan | 17 Dec 19:13 2004
Picon

[heads up] plan for future releases...

The primary focus for the next main release is gonna be the new parser
which should match the current JSR thinking, have good EBNF
documentation and avoid the ambiguities plaguing the current parser.
This new parser should hopefully catch most of the typeos we make and
give meaningful errors - rather than reams of stack traces. It'll also
give us something concrete to play with & feedback into the JSR
process.

We may end up with another interim release if we fix bugs between now
and the time the new parsers ready. Hopefully the first release of the
new parser can be a little forgiving & use warnings rather than errors
where possible to help people migrate. Once we have the new parser
implemented and bedded down, its time to turn our attention to the
bytecode generation & see if we can tune that & hopefully simplify it
by using Janino etc.

So here's a tentative plan for future releases...

beta-9 - interim bug fixes & keeping the old parser etc

beta-10 - the first release of the new parser; will possibly break
backwards compatibility in places but will try to warn where possible &
do the right thing

when we get to 1.0-final we'll probably turn off all the deprecations &
backwards compatibility modes by default.