jastrachan | 1 Mar 19:47 2005
Picon

Re: Groovy beta 10 released! (+JSR Early Access)

The reasoning behind this is that without this rules we cannot use the
concise syntax for passing closures around. e.g. adding a newline
before { changes this meaning

// method call with closure parameter
coll.each { println "hey" }

// property access of 'each' then a regular block
coll.each
{
println "hey"
}

so we insist on passing closures using the { on the same line as the
method call.

We can allow whitespace after if/for/while and the like; though
currently we warn that this indentation mechanism could cause
confusion/trouble when using closures as method parameters with the
above syntax.