jastrachan | 1 Apr 16:39 2004
Picon

Syntax sugar for Java Beans property declaration (was Re: Mike on Properties)

On 31 Mar 2004, at 23:54, Cedric Beust wrote:
>  Well, thanks Mike for finally delivering.
>
>  I posted a few comments on your analysis in my weblog, but at this
> point, I think we should take the discussion on this list.  It looks
> like the JSR EG has their work cut out for them :-)

I'd like to focus in this thread not on the use of Java Beans in Groovy
but how we define them in Groovy - other than the standard Java way of
writing getters & setters. i.e. the aim is to create bytecode which any
Java code can introspect to see Java Beans compliant properties (and
events too but we've not looked at that yet).

Right now we've used the simple rule that its bad form to use public
fields - fields should be private to avoid exposing your
implementation. So that declaring a public field is equivalent to
defining a Java Bean property. If you want to make a read only
property, declare a private field & getter or a public field &
private/protected setter.

Its a very simple model which seems to work surprisingly well (so far).

One issue is that we don't allow public fields to be created in Groovy.
I personally don't think this is such a bad thing as switching from a
field to property breaks binary compatibility anyways but I guess its
an issue. So maybe properties & fields should have explicitly different
syntaxes.

We could consider some C#-like syntax sugar to make adding a
getter/setter easier...

http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=GROOVY-301

Or there's new keywords like Mike suggested.  Another approach is to
use macros - like Ruby does - to add properties. I confess to sitting
on the fence with macros so far - I think they are cool & useful,
though they make refactoring really hard so would rather avoid
requiring them until we know that we absolutely need them and that it
won't break refactoring support.