jastrachan | 5 Apr 16:29 2004
Picon

Re: JCP?

On 5 Apr 2004, at 15:12, Michael Campbell wrote:
> I'm woefully ignorant about these things, but can someone tell me
> what happened with groovy and Sun (JCP?) and what it means to us,
> the consumer?  I'm old, so go slow and use small words.

LOL :)

So the JSR has been approved...

http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/results?id=2490

What this means is that we'll be setting up a groov-lang <at>  mail list
real soon where we'll start working through the language trying to tie
things down - starting with high level things and slowly debating the
nitty gritty. All JSR discussions will be out in the open so folks can
join in the fun & contribute thoughts and ideas.

If you'd like to be part of the Expert Group you'll need to fill in the
web form here...

http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=241

as well as signing and faxing the JSPA agreement to Sun (unless you
want to represent your company and your company is already a JCP
member). Though you don't have to be a member of the EG to be able to
take part.

> Will this thing with Sun inhibit what James will be able to do with
> the language going forward?  I ask in the context of the closure
> "()" magic and ".call()" discussion.

I'm hoping it means we get a healthy debate about the language syntax -
try and find as many wholes, ambiguities and rough edges and fix them -
then end up with a water tight specification that we can all work from.
The open source project should stay nimble & light and releasing often,
allowing RAD and innovation, but we should be able to freeze the
language syntax for a specific version number so that we all work from
solid foundations.