jastrachan | 5 Apr 17:08 2004
Picon

Re: JCP?

On 5 Apr 2004, at 15:55, Michael Campbell wrote:
> jastrachan@... wrote:
>
>> So the JSR has been approved...
>>
>> http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/results?id=2490
>>
>> What this means is that we'll be setting up a groov-lang <at>  mail list
> real
>> soon where we'll start working through the language trying to tie
> things
>> down - starting with high level things and slowly debating the
> nitty
>> gritty. All JSR discussions will be out in the open so folks can
> join in
>> the fun & contribute thoughts and ideas.
>>

> Stepping back a bit, what does a JSR *do*, what's the goal here?

The JSR defines the Groovy language specification along with the TCK.

> Making Groovy an "official Java" language spec?  After that's said
> and done, ... what?  It becomes another officially sanctioned
> language to spit out JVMable bytecode?

I'm not sure about 'officially sanctioned' but it'll certainly be a
language which has been standardised through the JCP process.

> Has this sort of JSR ever been done before?  (a[nother] language for
> the Java runtime)

I guess you could say JSP / JSTL are languages of sorts (though more
templating languages rather than scripting or general purpose
programming languages)

> Any odds on it passing?  (Or do they ALL pass,
> eventually?)

The JSR has been approved by the JCP Executive Committee. So next step
is to form the Expert Group and then create the specification. (There's
a bunch of other milestones in there I'm glossing over for now - like
EG & public releases & review periods etc).

>> If you'd like to be part of the Expert Group you'll need to fill in
> the
>> web form here...
>> http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=241
>
> I'm hardly an expert; groovy is my "art" right now; "I don't know
> what good art is, but I know it when I see it", if you will.

:)

Feedback & ideas are always useful & welcome.

>> I'm hoping it means we get a healthy debate about the language
> syntax -
>> try and find as many wholes, ...
>

> Freudian slip there?  =)

:)