jastrachan | 7 Apr 16:16 2004
Picon

Re: Re[2]: Eclipse plugin - mixing groovy & java

On 7 Apr 2004, at 15:06, Boris Bliznioukov wrote:
> Hello jastrachan,
>
> Wednesday, April 7, 2004, 3:40:16 PM, you wrote:
>
> jmc> On 7 Apr 2004, at 13:50, Boris Bliznioukov wrote:
>>> Hello groovy-users,
>>>
>>> I'm using groovy in a project. I like a lot ;) there was slight
>>> disappointment with eclipse plugin, it was some of the features.
>>> So I really quick wrote another one.
>
> jmc> Its a shame you couldn't have improved on what we already had
> rather
> jmc> than writing another one :(
>
> :) I tried ... there are couple big problems with builder so at some
> point I had just to rewrite it.

Any idea what the problems are? Just wondered.

> Rest of it was simple.
>
>>> I'm using it
>>> right now and it works ... ;) if you like you can try it.
>>>
>>> Features:
>>> - integrates with java. You can use groovy classes from java and vice
>>>   versa.
>>> - incremental builds, it builds only changed sources;
>>> - correctly marks positions of syntax errors.
>>> - supports task markers in comments (TODO,FIXME etc)
>>> - groovy launch configuration and shortcuts "Run as Groovy", "Debug
>>> as
>>>   groovy".
>>> - editor
>
> jmc> We already have the above. Plus the outline view working too.
>
> hmm... did I miss it? I checked CVS and it doesn't look like it's
> there... no incremental builds, no markers ... Am I looking in the
> wrong place? I'm looking here
> cvs.codehaus.org:/scm/cvspublic/groovy/ide/groovy-eclipse/GroovyEclipse

Yep thats the main plugin - there's a unit-testing of this plugin as
another plugin as well as feature / site plugins and the jar-dependency
plugin.

e.g. incremental builder is here...

http://cvs.groovy.codehaus.org/viewcvs.cgi/groovy/ide/groovy-eclipse/
GroovyEclipse/src/org/codehaus/groovy/eclipse/model/?root=codehaus

>>> - you can debug code. You can see variables, it supports method,
>>> line,
>>>   exception breakpoints and source code location. Provided that you
>>>   have groovy with GROOVY-363 fixed.
>>> - console stack trace line tracker works with groovy sources. (you
>>> can
>>>   click on stacktrace and it will bring up editor and point to the
>>> right
>>>   line)
>
> jmc> These two features I don't think we have though.
>
> [...]
>
> jmc> How about we try and integrate the efforts together? Seems silly
> having
> jmc> 2 different plugins that do mostly the same thing.
>
> I think it is a straight forward. I'll be glad to help with that.

Great stuff!

> In
> fact I attached a diff for debug to GROOVY-348 a week ago ;) The
> builder part is totally different though. and there are some
> dependencies on that in the source locator.

Cool, thanks.