jastrachan | 15 Apr 15:31 2004
Picon

Re: One remark and groovyc and a question about closures

On 15 Apr 2004, at 14:17, Fabien Dagnat wrote:
> Hello,
> I have just discovered groovy, and I must admit it deserve its name...

Thanks :)

> Just one remark about groovyc:
> It seems to use the name of the script as the class name and it can
> lead to name clash, for example the script test.groovy containing
> only: test = [] leads to:

Yes - this is a known issue. Chris & I were chatting on IRC this
morning about this, should be a fairly easy fix we think.

> >groovyc test.groovy
> org.codehaus.groovy.syntax.parser.RuntimeParserException: Cannot use a
> class expression on the left hand side of an assignment. At [1:1]
> test.groovy
> I have not looked into groovy source code, but could there be a way to
> avoid this clash (for example, by automatically renaming variable
> clashing with the name of the script.

The trick is to try name your scripts after a class name & be a little
careful - though we'll fix it properly soon.

> A question:
> I would to create (in Java) my own lib to use it in my scripts. I
> would like to have a Java class that contain a method taking a groovy
> closure as argument. To test this class, I would like to create in
> Java a closure object. I cannot find any example of how to this, the
> constructor takes a delegate object as argument and I don't how to
> create such an object.

If you search the code there are a few Closure's used as part of the
runtime and for testing. Just derive from Closure and implement a few
methods. An example closure is
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.IteratorClosureAdapter