James Deng | 19 Sep 12:34 2011
Picon

ANN: ivy-web 0.1

Dear all,

I am pleased to announce the first release of ivy-web after learning haskell for a year.

Ivy-web is a lightweight web framework, with type safe routes, based on invertible-syntax, and i18n support, influenced by Django, Snap and Yesod.

The features of this web framework:

  • Type safe routes, specify url-handler mapping in one place. For example, we want a url mapping for blog as "/blog/year-month-day" to Handler Int Int Int, where year, month and day are integers. We can declare as follows:

    data Blog = Blog Int Int Int deriving (Show, Eq, Typeable)
    $(defineIsomorphisms ''Blog)

    instance Handler Blog where
   get b <at> (Blog y m d) _ = do
        t <- liftIO getClockTime
        return $ responseHtml $ trans' "blog" ++ show b ++ show t
            rBlog = blog <$> text "/blog/" *> int <-> int <-> int
We can reverse this mapping from handler value automatically, thus don't need to construct url string manually in code, avoiding url errors.
ghci>url (Blog 2011 9 19) == "/blog/2011-9-19"
  • Simple yet elegant handler via type class.

class Handler a where
    get, post, put, delete, handle :: a -> Application
    handle a req = case requestMethod req of
        m | m == methodGet -> get a req
          | m == methodPost -> post a req
          | m == methodPut -> put a req
          | m == methodDelete -> delete a req
        otherwise -> unimplemented req
  • Flexible template system, utilize exsisting libraries such as Blaze-Html and Hastache.

  • Easy i18n

        Wraps around i18n library.
  • TODO: Auth system
Port from snap-auth.
  • TODO: Modular app system like Django
        The current route system support modular routes very well. Need works in modular config and data files like static template files.
  • TODO: Persistent library
Improving the DSH library is my current preference.

The principle of this library is KISS, and "don't reinvent the wheel" by reusing existing state-of-the-art libraries.

Hackage: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/ivy-web
Repo: https://github.com/lilac/ivy-web/

For the example code listed above, please refer to https://github.com/lilac/ivy-example/

--