Andres Löh | 17 Apr 18:59 2012

ANN: cabal-install-0.14.0

I'm pleased to announce the long-awaited new release of

If you are already using cabal-install then you can upgrade both using:

  $ cabal update
  $ cabal install Cabal cabal-install

New users you can get it from:

For users on unix systems there is a source tarball with a bootstrap
script. For users on Windows systems there is a pre-compiled cabal.exe
(The Windows binary hasn't really been tested yet. Feedback welcome.)

Release notes

Changes since 0.10.2:

  * Works with ghc-7.4
  * Completely new modular dependency solver (default in most cases)
  * Some tweaks to old topdown dependency solver
  * Install plans are now checked for reinstalls that break packages
  * Flags --constraint and --preference work for nonexisting packages
  * New constraint forms for source and installed packages
  * New constraint form for package-specific use flags
  * New constraint form for package-specific stanza flags
  * Test suite dependencies are pulled in on demand
  * No longer install packages on --enable-tests when tests fail
  * New "cabal bench" command
  * Various "cabal init" tweaks

Future plans

There will probably be another incremental 0.14.2 release in the
not too distant future, followed by an 0.16.0 release that should
work with ghc-7.6.

Bugs and feature requests

This is an excellent opportunity to make sure your favourite bug or
feature request is properly described in our bug tracker:

To help us guide development priorities please add yourself to the
ticket's cc list and describe why that bug or feature is important to

On behalf of the Cabal hackers and the community generally I'd like to
thank the people who have contributed patches for this release:

 * Tuncer Ayaz
 * Max Bolingbroke
 * Duncan Coutts
 * Ben Millwood
 * Jens Petersen
 * David Terei
 * Johan Tibell
 * Thomas Tuegel
 * Brent Yorgey

Get involved

If you'd like to contribute, then please:

 * subscribe to the cabal-devel mailing list:

 * check out the information on our trac: