From: Leon Timmermans <l.m.timmermans <at> students.uu.nl>
Subject: Re: dependencies on perl version
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.perl.bio.general
Date: Wednesday 6th February 2013 02:40:27 UTC (over 3 years ago)
On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Fields, Christopher J
 wrote:
> Aim for 5.10.1, but be careful of smart-match.  If you do this, make sure
to add a 'use 5.010' pragma at the top.

> (for those who don't like this, please speak up.  perl 5.8 has been
around almost 8 yrs, we would like to allow using new features if at all
possible)

I *really* hate saying it, but I fear a lot of places are still stuck
on 5.8, in particular on 5.8.8 because of CentOS 5. I know my
department still is and doesn't seem to be in a hurry to upgrade, and
I'm pretty sure it won't be the only one (though personally I use a
self-compiled 5.16).

Leon

CD: 3ms