Fields, Christopher J | 6 Feb 05:14 2013

Re: dependencies on perl version

On Feb 5, 2013, at 8:40 PM, Leon Timmermans <l.m.timmermans <at> students.uu.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Fields, Christopher J
> <cjfields <at> illinois.edu> wrote:
>> Aim for 5.10.1, but be careful of smart-match.  If you do this, make sure to add a 'use 5.010' pragma at the top.
>>
>> (for those who don't like this, please speak up.  perl 5.8 has been around almost 8 yrs, we would like to
allow using new features if at all possible)

> I *really* hate saying it, but I fear a lot of places are still stuck
> on 5.8, in particular on 5.8.8 because of CentOS 5. I know my
> department still is and doesn't seem to be in a hurry to upgrade, and
> I'm pretty sure it won't be the only one (though personally I use a
> self-compiled 5.16).
>
> Leon

We had the same problem for a while, but our sysadmins were willing to set up perl 5.12 (at that time) loadable
as a module (we can of course set up a local perl as well).  We're now using a sysadmin-installed perl 5.16
with our current cluster.

chris

Gmane