From: Fields, Christopher J <cjfields <at> illinois.edu>
Subject: Re: dependencies on perl version
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.perl.bio.general
Date: Wednesday 6th February 2013 04:24:31 UTC (over 3 years ago)
On Feb 5, 2013, at 10:11 PM, Leon Timmermans
 wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 4:32 AM, Hilmar Lapp  wrote:
>> Does anyone know what Ubuntu uses?
>
> 5.14.2, distrowatch is your friend ;-)
>
>> I've heard lots of other old version problems with CentOS.
>
> I know people who still use CentOS 4 in production :-|
>
>> 8 years is really old, and at some point I fear that weighing backwards
compatibility too much just holds us back in a real detrimental way.

> CentOS 5 is 6 years old (and will be supported another 4), but CentOS
> 6 is 'only' 19 months. perl missing a release in the 5.8-5.10
> timeframe combined with an unfortunate alignment of its release
> schedule with Red Hat's don't do us any favors here.
>
> Leon

Right, it took ~8 yrs to go from 5.8 to 5.10.  I'd like to point out that
Python users are in the same boat: the Python version for CentOS 5 is
2.4.3, and Biopython requires a minimum of python 2.5 (and recommends
python 2.7).

We can always state that perl 5.8 is supported for the upcoming Bioperl
release, but we're dropping v5.8 support for any future releases.

chris

CD: 54ms