From: Leon Timmermans <l.m.timmermans <at> students.uu.nl>
Subject: Re: dependencies on perl version
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.perl.bio.general
Date: Wednesday 6th February 2013 04:33:57 UTC (over 3 years ago)
On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 5:24 AM, Fields, Christopher J
 wrote:
> Right, it took ~8 yrs to go from 5.8 to 5.10.  I'd like to point out that
Python users are in the same boat: the Python version for CentOS 5 is
2.4.3, and Biopython requires a minimum of python 2.5 (and recommends
python 2.7).

> We can always state that perl 5.8 is supported for the upcoming Bioperl
release, but we're dropping v5.8 support for any future releases.

Sounds reasonable. These things shouldn't come as a surprise.

I suspect that the thing that will save us is that most of these
people install it once and then never upgrade.

Leon

CD: 3ms